Friday, June 28, 2013

Date And Nut Energy Squares

Energy bars2

If you're looking for a simple and healthy treat to satisfy your sweet tooth, you should try this recipe. 
I've been buying energy bars from the bulk bins at my local grocery store for the last few months and decided to try making it at home recently since I had most of the ingredients.  

Here's what I used-

Ingredients:


  • 4 ounces chopped dates (I used the Amport Foods brand)
  • 6-7 dried figs (I used Sun-Maid Mission Figs)
  • ¼ cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup almonds, toasted
  • ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
  • 2 tsp flax seeds

Method:

Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse a couple of times until the mixture comes together. Knead the mixture well and press into a foil-lined dish. Refrigerate for a few hours until firm. Cut into bars or squares and serve.


By using different combinations of dried fruits and nuts, you could   come up with a variety of fruit and nut bars.   I've used dried figs and dates here, but prunes or  apricots would  also work well. Some other nuts that could be used in this recipe are cashews, hazelnuts and pecans.



Energy bars1

0 Burps:

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.