Friday, August 17, 2007

Pigging out on Pooris

I had no intention of posting anything else this week.
Ever since
Anita of A Mad Tea Party announced a poori-party, I kept toying with the idea of making some. It was after all, very tempting. However, there was only one small problem - never in my life had I made a poori before! But there was so much information on the making of pooris doing the rounds of so many blogs here during the last week that I was slowly warming up to the idea.

Armed with a wealth of knowledge thanks to
Indira, Anita, Bee & Nupur, I finally decided to make some pooris.
I mixed together some flour, semolina, salt and oil with warm water and started kneading away. (You know you are definitely out of shape when you work up a sweat just kneading some dough. You also know you don't care enough to do something about it when you proceed to fry the same dough and eat it! Healthy eating be damned!)

Since it's my first time making these things, I had no idea how long to knead... I just kept kneading the dough till it begged for mercy.I allowed it to rest for about 30 minutes & then proceeded to make, roll & fry my pooris in hot oil. I was so thrilled with what I saw. My very first poori had puffed up so beautifully & looked really good. Beginner’s luck,
huh? I did not know whether to eat it or take a picture of it.

Pooris and aloo-bhaji go together so well.
Making the bhaji was a breeze as this is something I make regularly for masala dosas.


Here’s how I made aloo-bhaji.
Ingredients:
5 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled & cubed
1 medium onion, peeled & thinly sliced
A small piece of ginger, peeled & grated (about and inch long)
5- 6 green chillies, finely chopped
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp coriander powder
A pinch of turmeric powder

For the seasoning:
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp mustard seeds
3-4 curry leaves
A pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste

Method:
Heat oil in a pan & add all the ingredients for the seasoning.

Add the onions followed by the green chillies, ginger and the powders. Sauté till the onions are transparent.

Add the cubes of the boiled potatoes and about half a cup of water.

Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes.

Serve hot with pooris.
I am off to join Anita’s party now! Yay!

53 Burps:

Anonymous said...

That HARDLY looks like the effort of a first timer and your aaloo bhaji is almost the same as mine...was that a tamil recipe too?
My first time in your blog and i shall be around often to check out your beautiful stuff!

archana said...

Puri bhaji is looking toooo delicious. I am feeling hungry :)

Manasi said...

Oh WOW!! lovely pooris! first time? they look perfect!
i want to make pooris too, but I just had a notice from the hubby.. he is dragging me off to the gym tomorrow (morning and evening ..my weekend is ruined :(

Anonymous said...

So glad you could come, TBC! Wonderful pooris, and from a Budding Cook! See, how easy it really was?!

And what is this about "healthy eating be damned?" Poori-bhaji is very very healthy! ;-) Whole wheat flour, and boiled potatoes! And all those endorphis that started their whirl within our body just at the thought of it, and the getting together with friends at the party - all very very healthy! Bon apetit!

Viji said...

The pooris look yummy. Viji

bee said...

another one bites the dust. that poori looks perfect.

Latha Narasimhan said...

Hi came to know there is a poori party from you dear! Poori and aloo subzi are one of the best combinations! Nice mouth watering recipes.

Kajal said...

I imagine your face with smile....when you make this puri first time....Really it is nice work and also your puri is fully puff.....great work.:)

Nupur said...

Your puris are picture perfect! Lovely photos. I have not made puris since I wrote that post soooo many months ago :)

SeeC said...

Stunning TBC. Perfectly puffed.
Could you tell me what flour (exactly) you used.
Love to have some.

Laavanya said...

Wow! Great looking Pooris and Bhaji TBC and that too at your first attempt. I remember too that I've never had trouble with pooris. Of course I'd have the occassional flat ones but mostly they puffed up okay. Chapathis though, it took me several attempts, variations to get them decently soft.

Anonymous said...

great Pooris.....
I ate them all.....Please make more...
your better half...

Coffee said...

The is a perfect balloon TBC!!! I am sure you are so proud of it. :) Thanks to Anita, we all finally jumped to the idea of making puri's. :)

Coffee said...

I think you can change you name from The budding cook to the perfect cook :P

TheCooker said...

That poori looks perfect!

Aruna said...

Great looking pooris for a first timer...!!

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I agree, TBC is beginning to look a complete misnomer!

Look, you made someone real happy,and they are asking for more! :-D And you said not-healthy?!

Lia said...

hi thanks for visiting me, u have great recipe and food over here, i shall be back frequenly, thanks :)

Lia

TBC said...

Nandita,
Welcome & thank you for saying that:-)
I don't know whether it is a tamil recipe but this was the way my mom always made it:-).Mom's always have the best recipes, don't they?
Thanks for stopping by & do come back when you get a chance.


Archana, thank you:-)


Manasi,thanks. You can't go wrong when you follow the recipes of such great cooks/bloggers.
Lucky you, my hubby has completely given up on me now:-( I keep meaning to do something but that day never comes!


Anita,
How could I not when you are the hostess?I cannot wait to see the others too. There are a couple of first-timers like me.
Um , my PB is not even as " healthy" as some of the others'.It was made of APF you see:-( . you know my story.....


Viji, thanks;-)



Bee, yeah, I caved!& thank you.
BTW, I read your cluri story a couple of times & showed it to my hubby too.We enjoyed it so much!


Latha,
thank you:-) Why don't you join us?


Kajal,
Thank you so much. You really make me feel so good.


Nupur, thank you very much. I got my tip for adding rava from your recipe:-)


Seec, thank you.All Purpose Flour.
:-)... but I hear it is usually made with wheat flour, I did not have any!:-(


Laavanya, thanks!I'm actually very proud of myself:-)
I've never made chapatis either..maybe that shd be next for me!

TBC said...

Anon H,
Your wish is my command;-)


Coffee, thanks! I am actually very pleased with myself;-).
I liked yours a lot too... esp with the step-by-step description in pics.
The perfect cook? You are being very nice now.For now I'll just stay the budding cook. Besides,it's better this way coz if things don't turn out like expected,I can always say, "hey, I'm just a BC, if you want great recipes, go to The Spice Cafe";-)


The cooker,thank you :-)


Aruna,thank you. I appreciate all the encouragement :-)

Anita,
Yeah, or so I'm being told..
But a budding cook is still learning & is allowed to make mistakes;-)
That was my hubby earlier just being very silly!:-)I wondered where he had disappeared suddenly;-)


Lia,
Thank you for stopping by.It is nice to have you here:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! I have never made this, but what a delicious looking recipe!

Roopa said...

poori bhaji is looking awesome girl :)

Padma said...

Poori Bhaji looks delicious with that raita!...Great to see u at Mad tea party!

Sharmi said...

all the bloggers are going crazy on pooris. it is raining pooris every where:) very beautiful pics. aloo is my favorite with poori.

Anonymous said...

They are just perfect. So tempting puffed up puris.

sunita said...

Are youb sure you haven't made puris before?...those look perfect!!!

Richa said...

puris look lovely, so does the bhaji!

TBC said...

Kristen, thank you:-) It's basically fried bread.

Roopa, thank you:-)


Padma, thank you!.I am just waiting for Anita's round-up.


Sharmi,
Yeah, when Anita calls, how can you not go:-)

Hima, thank you:-)


Sunita, lemme think... ummm yup!.. pretty sure sure it's my first time. I've seen my mom do it, of course but never went anywhere near her!;-)


Richa, thank you:-)

Sreelu said...

one happy puffed up poori's,its been raining poori's all over in the blogsphere.

Thanks for the comments on my blog, added you to my blogroll

musical said...

Picture perfect, drool inducing goodness in that platter!

Prema Sundar said...

poori celebration everywhere and cant wait to eat it ... pls someone send it to my house!!!!!
looks lovely.

Suma Gandlur said...

Those pooris look all puffed up and happy. That's pretty awesome for a beginner.:)

Nirmala said...

I love pooris. Just adore them. Can't make them -- eat them out or wait for my mom to make them. Yours look fabulous.

Anonymous said...

For a first time poori maker it looks Delicious................just like a professional puri...
And reading all the other comments, one comment caught my eye from your better half, so sweet of him, so when are you going to make puris for him again :-))))

TBC said...

Sreelu, thanks for stopping by:-) & thank you for adding me to your roll:-)


Musical,thank you:-)


Prema,I already sent some your way...u didn't get 'em? ;-)

Suma,
Thank you. I was mighty pleaded myself;-)

Nirmala, making mom or even hubby make 'em sound good;-)


Happy Cook,
Welcome & thank you :-)
Yeah, my hubby was just being rather silly. He had never eaten pooris made by me before and was very happy to see'em:-)
I don't think anytime soon though coz my arm still hurts from all that kneading!:-)

Savithri said...

Your pooris look so delicious! I am drooling:)

Grihini said...

Lovely looking poori's. Too good to believe for a first timer. Well done.
Tnanks for stopping by at my blog. Me too a budding cook, just like you. But u are way ahead girl..and excellent composition of the pictures too. :)

TBC said...

Savithri, thanks:-)


Grihini, thank you very much for your kind words. Hope to see you around :-)

Priyanka said...

Those puris look amazing TBC. CHecked out other recipes too.YOu have some unique recipes girl like the kamal kakri sabzi and the kale stir-fry... will be back for more....

Coffee said...

And now I know you are a flaterrer as well ;)

TBC said...

Priyanka, thank you:-)Comeback soon;-)

Coffee- huh? I always was thanks to the sweet things I eat!;-)

Raaga said...

For the first time, these look the pooris of a pro. Way to go girl!

J said...

Looking at those pooris, you still call yourself a budding cook??

Shubha Ravikoti said...

amazing recipes and equally amazing pics.... thanx for all ur comments tbc...:) i havent registered with food blog desam... how should i do that??? kindly suggest... i cudnt get time to update my blog for some days now.....back now... temme how can i register therE??? r u registered there too??

TBC said...

Raaga, Thanks:-) I was pretty pleased with myself too.


Jyothsna,
Thanks for saying that.Very nice of you.


Shubha- I'll see on your blog.

neroli said...

*First* time's the charm for you!
How wonderful! Thanks for the lovely inspiration.

TBC said...

Neroli,
Welcome & thank you. :-)
Beginner's luck, eh?

Latha Narasimhan said...

Dear, you are most welcome to send a recipe of your choice!

Latha Narasimhan said...

Tbc,
didnot get your mail. please do send again.

Anonymous said...

reg janmastami mail - no problem, if you leave a comment with link to your post, its more than enuff, we'll pick up details :). thanks.

TBC said...

Latha/Lakshmi- all sorted out now. thanks:-)

Anonymous said...

THAT POORI AND THAT BHAJI AWWWWWWWW MUMMY I WANT TO EAT MY SCREEN

TBC said...

Anon: glad you stopped by. :D

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.