Friday, August 24, 2007

Pineapple Halwa or something like it...

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups canned, crushed pineapple
1 cup milk
½ cup rava/semolina/cream of wheat
2 tsp sugar (according to taste)
1 Tbsp ghee
A pinch of powdered cardamom
Almonds


Method:
Heat the ghee in a pan and add the rava to it & toast it till it is done. (You can tell by the smell when it’s done.)

Add the milk followed by the crushed pineapple. Stir continuously and keep mixing well on low to medium heat for about 15-20 minutes.

Add the almonds, sugar & cardamom powder and continue to cook for another 2 -3 minutes.
Serve hot or cold.

P.S.- I am really not sure whether this is a halwa or a sheera or a kesari. I’m pretty sure that there is some subtle difference. If any one of you knows the difference, do let me know.


Update: I have decided to send this to Latha as my entry for participating in her Krishna Janmashtami celebrations.

48 Burps:

Manasi said...

Err.. Pineapple Sheera?
Looks awesome! My hubby loves this and I have a can of pineapple stiing inthe pantry... thanx for the wake up call!

FH said...

Pineapple Kesari Bhaat!! I love the flavor of Pineapple with rava.Looks delicious!:)

Richa said...

looks delicious! rava is so very versatile, makes sweet n savory yum dishes. btw, when i make halwa, rava absorbs milk within 2 minutes, so i'm guessing u keep it for 15-20 mins just to cook the pineapple?

sunita said...

With such a treat in front of the eyes, who needs to know the name...what's in a name anyway...just give me a spoon to dig in :D

TheCooker said...

Wow! Looks like my kind of dessert. I'm going to make this tonight. Thanks.

Kajal said...

What a great idea my dear…this is really rocking dish.....Looks very yummy. Nice combination pineapple with Rava. Really appreciate your work.:))

Swaruchy said...

wow...a new one...haven't heard of this b4........will try it out dear :-)

bee said...

it's beautiful, and low fat to boot.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Anything with pineapple has a special place in my heart!

Laavanya said...

I lurve pineapple and this looks heavenly... I feel like trying it right away but as luck would have it - no pineapple at home :(
So, you are not draining the pineapple right?

Tee said...

halwa, sheera or kesari...it sure does look delicious! :)

Coffee said...

Who the hell cares whatever it is!! It's pineapple afterall! :D Love it..... will try this soon. :)

Suma Gandlur said...

Pineapple halwa is yummy. Isn't it? I too have posted this recipe recently. My version doesn't use milk though.
If I am correct, South Indians (especially Kannadigas) call the sooji halwa as kesari bhath because they add orange or kesari color to it.
Andhrites call it kesari or halwa.
I have seen Maharashtrians calling the same sooji halwa (without the color)as sheera.

Suganya said...

Whatever it is, rava and pineapple is an amazing combo.

Viji said...

Whatever you call TBC, pineapple in a sweet adds taste to it. It looks yummy. Viji

sra said...

Think a halwa has to be shapeless and smothered in ghee! Your creation looks wonderful!

TBC said...

Manasi, thanks:)


Asha,thank you :)


Richa,yes.. it was to cook the pineapple & also to let some of the liquid evaporate & let the whole thing sorta "come together"


Sunita, I will, only if you give me a piece of that delicious cake ;-)


TC, do let me know how it turns out.

Kajal,thank you. ... you are so sweet :-)


Sirisha, try it when you can & let me know how it turns out.


Bee, thanks :-) Yes, it was.. and even the milk used was 1%


Patricia, I love pineapple too... fresh ones are the best but I was too lazy to do all that work.


Laavanya, it tasted very good.Actually, eating it while still warm is the best.
I did drain the crushed pineapple before using it but there was still some of the juice going into the halwa.


Tee, thanks:-)


Coffee, let me know how you like it, you rocking-thoughtful schmoozer!;-)


Suma,yes it was & I did't even feel guilty after eating it:-).So then this is a halwa, right?.
I will check your version of this too.


Suganya, thank you :-)



Viji, thanks:-)

TBC said...

Sra, thanks :-)

Is that so? yeah, the ghee bit does make sense.I tried googling it but did not have much luck.

Raaga said...

Looks beautiful TBC :-)

Anonymous said...

I luv pineapples
n that halwa looks beautiful
vl surely try it
i do have a pineapple at hand

Cynthia said...

I usually like my cream of wheat porridge with pineapple jam so I can imagine how wonderful this tastes. Looks good, TBC.

Sharmi said...

the "something like it" recipe looks delicious:))

Seena said...

TBC,
Looks very easy to prepare, will try this, my kids love pineapple dishes.

Seena said...

TBC,
Looks very easy to prepare, will try this, my kids love pineapple dishes.

Rajitha said...

nice presentation.. i am sure it tastes good too

TBC said...

Raaga, thanks:-)


Raji, I do too:-)
Thanks for the compliment.


Cynthia,
You just gave me another recipe to try out!:-)Thanks.


Sharmi, thanks:-)
I'm still not sure wot to call it!



Seena, do try it when you can.


Rajitha, thank you:-)

Nupur said...

Love the delicate color of this dessert! And it looks so quick and simple.

TBC said...

Nupur,thanks! Yes, it was,didn't take too long at all.

Nirmala said...

Holy cow. This is simple and delicious!

amna said...

very innovative :)

J said...

I love the look of it! I'm bookmarking this!

Latha Narasimhan said...

TBC Now I know , I'll not miss any recipe if I go to FBD! Finally! :))
You can give a new name to this recipe dear! Looks great!

TBC said...

Nirmala, yes it was!:-)

Nags, thanks:-)


Jyothsna, do try it out and let me know how it turns out for you. :-)

TBC said...

Latha, you are doing great! You have picked up so much in such a short time.I too did not know about the FBD thing until Bee told me about it.:-)

Mansi said...

I think i'm gona call it pineapple kesari:) b'coz this looks like what i had by that name at a south indian restaurant, and I loved it...I'm a huge fan of sweets, so can't wait to make this one!!

TBC said...

Kesari it is then!
Thanks for stopping by, Mansi:-)

Rachna said...

wow this looks totally yummy... the picture looks so lickable...:) will def try...

Latha Narasimhan said...

Lovely entry dear! I am planning the round up on 12th september.

TBC said...

Rachana, thank you :-)


Latha, thanks a lot! :-). I cannot wait to see all the entries!

SeeC said...

Very tempting TBC. Wish to grab it :)

TBC said...

Seec, thanks:-)

Apple said...

Looks so yum n delicious...loved your soya rice and cauliflower soup too...

TBC said...

Apple, thank you very much.Hope to see you around here often.

Rina said...

Pretty simple version you have here. Like the picture too.

TBC said...

Rina, thanks for checking it out. Your version is definitely more colorful & vibrant:-)

Unknown said...

Hi, This is a great recipe. Im definitely going to try it out soon. Just a headsup. Came across another recipe for the pineapple suji halwa online that is using the same picture as yours.. Heres the link incase you would like to check it out.

http://notecook.com/desserts/fruits/sooji-halwa/

TBC said...

Habiba- Thank you so much for letting me know! The picture there is mine and it has being used without my permission- thanks again for leaving a comment here to inform me about it.

P.S. I'm unable to access your profile and get in touch with you any other way to express my gratitude for alerting me.

Habiba said...

Im glad I could be of help... :)

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.