Friday, January 4, 2008

Chocolate Balsamic Truffles

This blog has been gathering dust lately. It’s been so long since I did a post on food. I have been unable to use this space as frequently as I would have liked to for various reasons… work, the holidays, friends visiting, complete loss of interest for a bit and lack of motivation and just LIFE in general…
The New Year is a time for new beginnings and on that note, I bring to you my first post of 2008 - Chocolate Balsamic Truffles.


I tried my hand at making truffles yesterday. I was inspired by Giada’s recipe that I saw on Everyday Italian. The process is a little time-consuming, not to mention messy, and I quickly realized that they weren't as easy to make as they had seemed when I had first watched the segment on her show. I was however, pleased with the way they turned out and the end result was definitely well worth the effort. The truffles tasted absolutely heavenly and simply melt in your mouth.
I’ve tweaked the original recipe a bit and this is how I did it.

Ingredients:
10 oz dark chocolate
½ cup heavy cream
3 tsp balsamic vinegar
For coating the truffles:
Cocoa powder
Chopped and toasted walnuts
Toasted coconut

Method:
Cut the chocolate blocks into small, even pieces (this helps melting it uniformly easier) and place in a microwave- safe bowl.


Heat the heavy cream in a pan till small bubbles begin to form along the edges and it almost starts to boil.

Combine the cream and chocolate to form a
ganache that is smooth and without lumps. (If the chocolate doesn’t melt completely, just pop the bowl in the microwave for 10-15 seconds)

Add the balsamic vinegar and mix well.

Cool the ganache completely, cover and let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour or two till it is firm and has set.

Using a spoon, scoop up the ganache and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (I managed to get 20 medium sized balls.)

With extremely clean hands, roll and shape the ganache into small balls. (I had some trouble here as the chocolate started to melt and my hands began to get sticky. I just popped it in the freezer for 5 minutes before continuing to round out the balls.)

Roll each truffle around in your chosen topping. I made three kinds -some with a dusting of cocoa, some with a coating of coarsely ground and toasted walnuts and some others covered with lightly toasted coconut flakes.

I don’t think that these can be stored for a very long time, but I have read in a couple of places that they will keep well for at least 2-3 weeks if refrigerated and stored in an airtight container. Let the truffles return to room temperature before serving.
I don’t expect my truffles to last long enough for their shelf life to be a concern!


This is going to Deepz at Letz Cook for JFI - Chocolate and to Bindiya who blogs at In Love with Food, for her chocolate fest.


Before I forget, I would like to thank
Jaden and Hari Nayak for my personally signed copy of the cookbook “Modern Indian Cooking”. It is a beautiful book with stunning pictures and some great recipes by Hari Nayak and Vikas Khanna. I am looking forward to trying out a couple of recipes from here in the coming months. Thanks once again!

Here's wishing all my blog buddies a very happy and prosperous 2008!

42 Burps:

Rajitha said...

u take a break and come out with such a spectacular recipe
ms. giada junior ;)..the truffles look really really good..
tbc..you can also sent this to bindiya of 'in love with food'..she hosting a chocolate event....

bee said...

the balsamic is a great touch. happy new year.

Lisa Turner said...

Balsamic vinegar and dark chocolate and cream! What an inspired idea. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'll be making this soon.

Bri said...

That's great that you made truffles too! They are just so tasty, but I think they stretch the truth when they say truffles are quick and easy to make. They are involved, but well worth it. Balsamic, huh? How did it show up flavor-wise?

Seena said...

I think I cannot comment on chocolate dishes since I don't take them..
Anyway, its looking beautiful!

EC said...

The truffles look yummy...good try

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Beautiful truffles. You couldn't go wrong with chocolate, is what I say.
Nice to see you back. Was wondering where you were.:)

Susan said...

Great flavor pairing, TBC, and a nice and easy entry into 2008. Good to see you posting again.

Padma said...

Happy New Year, TBC! and I am also a big fan of Giada! those truffles looks promisingly delicious.

Richa said...

they look very tempting tbc!

KayKat said...

I'm on such a chocolate high right now! This looks delicious :)

Shella said...

Hey Happy New Year, n I missed you n am glad to have you rocking the blog world!!! The truffles look absolutely delightful. Great stuff. Oh, n congratulations on the book. I look forward to seeing recipes from that book

Sig said...

Yummy! Balsamic vinegar in truffles, I haven't heard of that, but I am sure it added a nice flavor... The truffles look great! Wish you a happy new year TBC! :)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love truffles and also like to make them. This recipe sounds quite good. Happy New Year!

Shivapriya said...

Happy New Year TBC. Those chocolate truffles looks yum.

Namratha said...

Good to see you back TBC, I really have been wondering where you've been lately, buck up dear...don't let life pull you down, we all are here to keep u going :)

Love the truffles, I saw them too on her show.

Rajesh &Shankari said...

Now that is what I call real harwork. It looks tasty. Was the smell of balsamic vinegar strong?

Sreelu said...

TBC, lovely truffles never heard of adding Balsamic vinegar.Great start for the year. Happy New Year !!!

Bharathy said...

whoooah!!I wanna pop one in my mouth...whooah!!tooo tempting!!..
Nice...NICE to see you back!:)

Thanu said...

TBC,thanx and i am glad you visited my blog.I got the ooportunity to see your wonderfully presented blog.The variety in it sure stands out. Looking forward for more:)

Bindiya said...

TBC,Thanks for such a divine entry!

Sagari said...

those truffels look great

Laavanya said...

TBC, Sorry I missed your post! These look awesome and could it be more easier? Hope to be trying this soon. Also, thanks for the feedback on the Garlic Chutney. I'll remember the tomato addition for next time too. :)

TBC said...

Rajitha, you say the nicest things!that's why I like you even more now;-).
I did just what u said and sent it across to Bindiya ...I am not very good at keeping track of all the events. Thank you.:-)

Bee- thanks and a very happy 2008 to u too.



Lisa-Do let me know how it turns out for you. It is a bit labor-intensive though.:-)


Bri-that's true...it was not as easy as it was made out to be.I think I've got the hang of it now. It should be a little easier the next time around.
I felt that the balsamic vinegar worked really well with the chocolate and enhanced the taste of the dark chocolate a little bit. It seemed more chocolatey:-)


Seena, Easycrafts- thanks:-)


Aparna- yeah, u can never go wrong with chocolate:-)


Susan, thanks- I wish I could take the credit for coming up with that...it was a Giada-recipe. :-)


Padma- A very happy 2008 to u too. It's good to have u back.



Richa, Kaykat- thanks girls:-)



Shella-thank you so much for the kind words. you are very sweet:-)
Happy 2008 yo u too!
I will be cooking from the book soon.



Sig- It was really good...I only have a couple left now:-)
A very happy 2008 to u too!


Helene- Happy 2008!. If u do make 'em do let me know.


Shivapriya- Best wishes to u too and thanks.:-)



Namratha- thanks dear:-).
I see that u've been cooking up a storm!



Shankari- Not at all...or maybe it was 'cos I did not use one of those super-expensive great brands. I used Progresso- my regular brand.I think I should use a little more the next time, even though the original recipe only called for 2 tsp and I used 3.


Sreelu- Thanks and here's wishing u the same:-)


Bharathy- thanks girl!:) Nice to see u here:-)


Thanu- You are being very kind now!
Do come back for more though:-)



Bindiya, Sagari- thanks:-)



Laavanya- No probs:-)
Unfortunately, I don't think there is an easier way to make these. If u do try it out, let me know. You could make different kinds- instead of balsamic vinegar, u could add orange extract or chilli powder or nutmeg or even cardamom. the possibilities are endless.:-)

Your garlic chutney was delish! We had a great brunch- dosa with garlic chutney, coconut chutney, sambar & hot kapi.Thanks again... loved the chutney.
I love garlic but I thought that 20 cloves might be a little too much even for me. Hence toned down the garlic flavor a notch by adding tomato + paste.:-)

musical said...

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones, dear! What a lovely treat this is :). Can i have some, please :-D. The first line of your post actually is more appropriate for folks like me ;). Thanks for your note :). Hope you had a lovely time for the holidays.

cheers,
musical.

Nupur said...

Balsamic vinegar is as gourmet and cutting-edge as this can get! Wow!
I made truffles for the first time last week too. I thought they were real easy and non-messy though :) Will post my more pedestrian version soon :D

Raks said...

Nice recipe TBC...Looks delicious!

FH said...

Ooh! I love Balsamic Vinegar in Pasta dishes.Adding to chocolate makes it so yummy. So clever TBC, good one dear girl!:))
Happy Monday.

Finla said...

Happy New year
Love the truffels. I am sure it was worth all that work you did .
Congrats with your book. I saw in Sigs place that she too got one.
Enjoy the book.

Seema said...

Thats a great one TBC!! I loved the chocolate recipe! Yum Yum!! Shelf life - if only it will last a day:-)

TBC said...

Musical! where are u these days?
We had a great holiday season. How have u been?

Nupur- thanks:-)
You made truffles too for the first time? What a coincidence!
Waiting to see your easy version:-)
I guess I was not that organized- which is kind of necessary- for this one!


Raks- thanks... it tasted great too;-)



Asha- I too use it in pasta and a lot of salad dressings:-)
I AM clever but not that clever!;-)
It was from one of Giada's recipes.


Happy Cook- A very happy 2008 to u too:-)It was indeed a bit of work but I am happy I tried it.
Thanks. The book is very special 'cos it's the first time ever that I won anything!


Seema- thanks:-)
It has lasted more than a day thanks to my willpower. ;-)

Ruth Daniels said...

So beautiful. If I make these I know my husband will be my slave for life! Thanks for sharing.

Kribha said...

OMG....TBC, for a moment I almost caved in from my new year resolution. Truffles look damn good. I got to go away from this page right away dear. This is soooooo tempting and I can't handle it anymore.

TBC said...

Ruth- thanks and lol:D
What are u waiting for?;-)


Kribha-thanks for the compliment.
That's why I don't make any reolutions;-)

Patricia Scarpin said...

your truffles are so beautiful! I have never thought of chocolate and balsamic vinegar together...

TBC said...

Patricia- thank you... and neither did I! I just adapted Giada's recipe. :-)

Vic said...

Thanks so much, looks excellent, am going to try them. Just FYI - 3 teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon, at least in the USA.

TBC said...

Vstoklosa- thanks for visiting! :D

Little Teapot said...

i came across giada's video today and i'll probably make some of these for my husband to give away to his friends at work.

TBC said...

Little teapot- welcome!
What a nice name you've picked!:D
I swear by all of Giada's recipes... they're the best!
I hope you keep some truffles for yourself too.;)

Sasha said...

Yum! I fixed these today (with just a touch more Basalmic more by accident than design) and the ganache is just killer delicious!

TBC said...


Sasha- thank you for visiting!
Balsamic vinegar and chocolate go so well together, don't they?


Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.