Friday, January 18, 2008

Spicy Cannellini Bean Soup

A lot of my Italian-style cooking is heavily influenced by what I see on Giada’s show on the Food Network. I saw this recipe a couple of days back and decided to make it. Here’s my version after a couple of modifications.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
2 medium onions, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and diced
3 celery stalks, chopped
¾ tsp red chilli flakes
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp powdered cloves
1 can of diced tomatoes
A handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 (15 oz) can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup milk

Method:
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onions, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté till the onions are translucent, and the other vegetables turn soft.


Add all the spices, mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.

Add the canned tomatoes and chopped basil and cook for another 5 minutes.

Puree the mixture. (I used my immersion blender. If you are using a regular blender, allow the mixture to cool for a bit, blend and then return to the saucepan.)

Add the milk to the pureed mixture, bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. (You could thin out the soup by adding some water too. I like mine a little thick and creamy, hence added only milk.)

Add the canned beans and cook for another 5 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper, garnish with chopped herbs and serve hot.


This spicy bean soup goes to Susan @ The Well-Seasoned Cook for her event- My Legume Love Affair.

22 Burps:

Anonymous said...

The soup is looking really good. Actually awesome. I may want to try it as soon as possible.

Unknown said...

wow....that soup looks so yummy....i want to have it....great comfort food....I am trying it ....:)

Unknown said...

wow....that soup looks so yummy....i want to have it....great comfort food....I am trying it ....:)

Shella said...

This is a very diff soup, n I really like the looks of it. Slurp.....

amna said...

seen a lot of cannellini beans in the blogosphere but never come across any in the stores.. looks nice!

Anonymous said...

Giada has some great ideas.

Rajitha said...

i saw that show too...more on that later to u ;)..but the soup looks great...and i love cannellini beans (i was putting on a fake accent and telling it..like her :D )

Susan said...

I like your modifications, TBC. This soup looks very easy to pull together and such a comfort for cold weather days.

Thanks for your beautiful entry!

Namratha said...

This is awesome TBC, looks so wholesome and delicious :)

musical said...

Lovely beans soup! I made one a cpl. of days ago too, with cocnut milk and ginger. Will try your version sometime.

Mandira said...

The soup looks fantastic :)

Raaga said...

Am finally able to view and comment here :) Great looking soup... love it already!!

Raaga said...

Finally able to view and comment... hearty soup there!!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

This look yummy, and I'm sure it will cure my jet-lag! ;)

FH said...

Beautiful entry tbc, looks like a hearty soup! We had Beans and Bacon soup too last week!:)

TBC said...

Hima and Supriya- thank you. Do give me some feedback if you make it.:-)


Shella- thanks:-)


Nags- It's a very popular bean in Italian cooking... looks a lot like our rajma bean except that this one's whitish.:-)


Shop gourmet- she sure does! ;-)



Rajitha- if u r gonna tell me more about her low-cut blouses, I don't wanna hear it;-)
Hey, I made ur garlic sauce... it is lip-smacking good!


Susan, yeah, it sure is.:)...and thank YOU for hosting!


Namratha- thanks girl!:-)



Musical,
thank you, but where are you?? I see your comments in places but no new post.Soup with coconut milk and ginger sounds wonderful! Do post the recipe when you get a chance. Let that be ur comeback one;-)


Mandira and Raaga- thank you!:-)



EMWK- It tastes great but is super-hot!...and welcome back. :-)


Asha- thanks dear! It's nice to see u. Hope u are doing well and are finding the time to do everything that you need to and love.
Beans and bacon soup? I like the beans part. Bacon is a big no-no for me... shiva, shiva!;-)

Laavanya said...

Hmm.. that does looks great. I have a bean soup coming up soon (black bean). I'm in a soup mode nowadays so hope to try this soon.... i like the spicy part :)

Rajitha said...

ha ha..c'mon re..be a sport :D

TBC said...

Laavanya- I have a can of black beans lying around. I've never made anything with black beans. Witing to see what your soup looks like.:-)


Rajitha- :-)

Padma said...

Even I a Giada fan and was introduced to Italian food by watching her shows on Food tv during my initial days in US. I too have seen that episode and thought of making...this looks so yummy....slurp!

Kribha said...

It looks so hearty and wholesome. Who can resisit this? Right now ,I have flu and I'll be surely happy if someone makes this for me.

TBC said...

Padma- Same here except that we did not take the cable connection during my initial years here:-)
I love Giada's show and her recipes.




Kribha- awww, u poor thing! Ask your hubby to pamper u.;-)
Get well soon!

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.