Sunday, February 3, 2008

Bombay Toast (French Toast, Indian style)

Cooking for one is extremely boring and is not always easy to do. Not that I feel any different even when H is around sometimes!

I made French toast for brunch today. This is a great way to use up stale bread. It is very easy and takes all of 10 minutes to prepare. This is so simple that it doesn't really need a recipe, but I know that this would be really useful to my sis who is looking to add to her growing collection of simple and quick recipes.

Ingredients:
3 slices bread (it helps if you are using stale, refrigerated bread)
2 eggs
½ cup milk
2 green chillies, finely chopped
A handful of chopped spring onions/scallions
¼ small onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp semolina/rava/sooji
2 Tbsp butter
Salt and pepper

Method:
Break the eggs into a wide, shallow bowl. Add milk, salt, pepper, chopped onions, scallions and semolina and beat well with a fork.

Meanwhile, in a large non-stick frying pan, over medium heat, melt the butter.

Dip both sides of each bread slice into the egg-milk mixture till the bread soaks it all up.

Place on the hot buttered pan. Spoon a little bit of the egg mixture including the onions, scallions, green chillies, and spread over each slice. (I do this 'cos I find it does not coat the bread slices while the bread is soaking up everything else.)

Cook until both sides are browned and the eggs have cooked through.

Serve hot with some tomato ketchup. Ketchup just makes everything taste so much better!

I sometimes make a sweet version of this by adding some sugar and vanilla essence to the egg mixture and omitting the green chillies. However, I prefer my breakfast/brunch a little spicy and savory- Indian ishtyle!

This one's for you, little sis! Just to get you started in the kitchen. ;-)


Other eggscellent recipes on this blog:
Egg Muffins
Egg Curry
Potato and Egg Salad

44 Burps:

Rajesh &Shankari said...

I do the same thing minus the semolina...what a wonderful breakfast to start your day!

Mythreyee said...

Looks yummy.

vimmi said...

LOOKS GREAT. Still dont know why its called bombay toast. I have lived there all my life but never eaten it. Could be one of the street foods which we were not allowed to eat. Seen many versions and urs looks great.

Kribha said...

Hmmm.... Intresting. I never knew that a savory version of french toast existed. I have always done only the sweet one. Your indian style of french toast looks so good. Thanks for the great idea.

Red Chillies said...

The Bombay Toast looks delish! With so many yummy and delicious dishes under your belt, it is so hard to beleive that you hate cooking!

Nupur said...

Now that's my kind of breakfast! What an appetizing picture this is.

Seema said...

Lovely looking French toasts TBC! Yes we Indians like food on the spicy side.. cant have sweet things for Breakfast can we?
What a nice post for your sister ,to start off with her cooking expermients :-) We all began one day like that, did'nt we!

Laavanya said...

That looks like a lovely breakfast to wake up too. Too bad H missed this! I've been wanting to try savoury Bombay Toast for so long...
Your blog will definitely be a wonderful gift to your sister as she starts to cook... :)
Left you a vm. Will catch you later.

Rachel said...

I agree with you on this quickie!

Namratha said...

Great dish T, quick and simple! Am gonna try this one very soon, am all by myself this week.

Anonymous said...

wow this looks delicious! I must try this!

amna said...

that's a very pretty meal too :)

DEEPA said...

Awesome toast !!!..Excellent breakfast

Sig said...

Yep, cooking for one is boring... :) French toast looks lovely, I prefer the savoury variety as well, my version doesn't have any semolina though, will try it this way next time.

Srivalli said...

tbc..thats a simple yet tasty looking one!

Finla said...

Delicious. I love indian toast like this.

Rajitha said...

do u really eat breakfast..all that fancy with srawberry and OJ..tell me ;D...and recipes for lil sis..so does that mean she has started to peek into the blog big sis :)

FH said...

Oh,looks sooooo delicious!! I want few slices right now!!:))

Shah cooks said...

hmm.. what does the semolina do in this? i don't normally add that.i make the sweet version with elaichi and milk and eggs.

Pooja V said...

I love this Masala toast infact i make this v often for brk fast.

Padmaja said...

This is my son's favourite weekend breakfast.Your's look so delicious ans yummy!!

Grihini said...

U are such a darling sis. I am sure she is proud of u.

I wish i had a sis.. :)

TBC said...

Shankari- Honestly, the rava did not even make a difference! I might as well have not added it. I was hoping it would make it crispy & crunchy:-(


Mythree- thanks:-)




Vimmi-You're from Bombay too? Same here:-)
As for how the name came about, maybe it's cos it's is a very cheap, quick and common preparation sold by the food hawkers on the streets of Bombay. I believe this is also known as "anda-pav"


Kribha- thanks:-)



Red Chillies- I know! I think my newfound love of food and cooking is just so I can take pics and blog about it. Sometimes when I am not in the mood to blog or do anything, I am also in no mood to cook! Sad state of affairs, na?



Nupur- thank you.:-)



Seema- yeah, I 'm not too fond of sweet stuff for BF though I do have a sweet tooth.
My sis hasn't even seen the post yet:-( I have to beg her to "visit" sometimes!


Laavanya- H's loss entirely!
Yeah, she's going to be needing it some day... it's always a good idea to know the basics:-)

I got your vm, and I wasn't watching the SB...I did not even turn on the TV while it was going on! Talk to u soon:-)


Rachel- thanks:-)



Namratha- you're home alone too?:-(
How's the catering business coming along?



Mel- It is! Do give it a shot.:-)


Nags- thanks:-)
You changed your pic?



Deepa- thanks:-)



Sig- You know, adding semolina did not even make a difference to the end product. I should add more maybe. I was looking for a crispy crunchy exterior!



Srivalli- thanks for stopping by.
:-)



Happy Cook- thanks. Me too.:-)



Rajitha- hey, when you're alone ,u do whtever it takes to make yourself feel better!;-). If that means arranging 3 strawberries carefully on the side and placing a glass of orange-cranberry juice in the background, so be it!;-)

Lil sis checks only when big sis "invites" her to do
so:-(...very sad, na? My whole family is like that! Nobody cares!



Asha- thanks:-)...sorry all finished now:-)




Mallugirl- that is a very good question. I asked myself the same thing after I made it! I had good intentions though...wanted the toast to have a slightly crispy exterior:-)
Maybe I should add more the next time or just sprinkle it on top of the bread while cooking instead of adding it in the eggy mixture.


Pooja- I do too. :-)



Padmaja- thanks:-)



Grihini- awww, u're so nice!... and you say the sweetest things. Come here more often. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yo big sistah! Wow! This looks positively yum :) Not sure it'd turn out the same way if I were to do it though.. wot wid me being an amateur n stuff :p

Poonam said...

I have never used semolina in my French toast before....will make it more crunchier, right?

By the way, will try your version of cannellini bean soup..have some of those beans on hand..

TBC said...

lil bopeep? actually, the name suits u well:-)
And it's nice to see u here...finally!!!!

And u be nice to your elders now...no tongue-in-cheek stuff!:-)





Poonam- I used it 'cos I thought it would, but I obviously did not use enough. Anyway, in this recipe the addition of rava did nothing for the toast.
Dolet me know how you like the soup.:-)

Valli said...

hello TBC,
thanks for visiting my blog - i always do the sweet version of french toast - never tried this one - but i think it tastes even better than the regular bread and omlette :)

-Valli

Kalai said...

I've heard of this only through my husband. Will definitely try this for him!

Lisa Turner said...

Sounds amazing. I could eat Indian style everyday. Thanks for this recipe.

Pooja said...

wow ! looking at the picture, makes me feel hungry. that is my kinda breakfast. thanks for sharing dear.

Deeba PAB said...

Hi TBC (love the name BTW), amazed at the idea of the rench Toast. My daughter loves the old version; This will add a new delicious twist! Lucky little sis...we are 3 sisters & are constantly swapping recipes too! Great post this, & the caramelised onion dip one too. Thanks for dropping by my blog!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Savory French toast sounds great!! And yes cooking for one is boring...but you can always have leftovers that way :)

musical said...

Cooking for one does get monotonous after a point! Ooh, and you just blogged about one of the most popular desi weekend b'fasts :). Actually, why only b'fast, this would make a satisfying evening time chai+dinner too :-D.

Raaga said...

I love this...

Suganya said...

Hi TBC.......This is so different...Lovely picture....great idea of making savory bombay toast...

Sagari said...

french toast indian style yummmmmmmmmm TBC

Cynthia said...

You can make breakfast for me anytime :)

S said...

nice pic

Swati said...

A Lovely breakfast dish..mmmmm!!!

TBC said...

Valli- nice to see you here. I too make the sweet version sometimes.:)


Kalai- Please do! It is super easy.:-)


Lisa- You have more Indian recipes on your blog than I do on mine!:-)


Pooja- yeah, mine too... ready in a jiffy!:-)



PB...& B- yeah, that's what my parents named me;-). You are one of three? Oh we don't swap. I give and give and she just takes...;-)
BTW, I've been to your blog before too...



Valli- true:-)


Musical- Seriously now, where are you??? I'm gonna send the cops to look for ya. ;-)


Raaga- thanks:-)


Sukanya- thank you:-)



Sagari- thanks:-)



Cynthia- Don't even get me started on the ones you dish out. Each and every one is a visual delight!



Shanti- thanks:-)


Sugarcraft India- thanks:)

Archana Doshi said...

I love french toast. This is sucha wonderful idea, never struck me to adds scallions and chillies etc and make it indianized. Thanks for sharing, my family would love this. Sunday breakfast is going to be this one.

Meera said...

I made this for MBP this time. It was awesome!!

TBC said...

Archana- I'm a little late.:D
thanks!


Meera- thank you so much for letting me know.:)
I'm glad u liked it!

Biker BT said...

Hahaa... hmmm the Stale Bread part ! Nicely described:)

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.