Friday, July 4, 2008

Blueberry Clafouti

Blueberries were on sale last week at my neighborhood grocery store. So I picked up 2 pints. While scouting around the internet for something nice to make, I came across this recipe for a clafouti. This was something new to me but it seemed simple and straightforward enough, and so I was willing to try it out.

Clafouti (pronounced clah-foo-tee), sometimes spelled clafoutis, is a custard-like baked French dessert that is typically made by baking fresh fruit (traditionally cherries) and a batter, somewhat similar to pancake batter, in a baking dish. (Source: Wikipedia)

Without making too many changes to the original recipe, this is what I did.

Ingredients:
1 pint= 2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
½ - ¾ cup sugar (depending on sweetness desired)
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
¾ cup all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Butter for greasing the baking dish

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish.

Arrange the blueberries in the dish in a single layer.

Place the eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk until they begin to turn light and fluffy, and foam. Stir in the sugar and continue whisking. Add the milk, vanilla extract, lemon zest, salt, and flour, one at a time, until the mixture is light and airy. Beat until well combined.

Pour the batter over the blueberries to cover evenly.

Bake in the oven until the top is golden and set, and springs back when touched. (Check after 35 minutes or so. Mine took about 50 minutes.)

Remove from oven and cool slightly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cut into wedges and serve warm.
I had no idea what to expect since I'd never tasted a clafouti before but judging from the taste I'd say that I did a pretty decent job with my very first one. I think it's great not only as a dessert but would also make for a healthy and filling breakfast, albeit a little sweet, considering that it’s basically just a baked fruit pancake.

After making the clafouti I looked around for an event that I could perhaps send this across for, and sure enough, there was one! :D

So, off this goes to the
WTSIM Berried Treasure event and AWED: France.

52 Burps:

FH said...

HeHe! These events! When I come back from my break, I will choose very few events to contribute every month instead feeling guilty and cook like crazy for EVERYBODY! :D

Clafouti looks excellent, makes a wonderful, enjoy. Happy 4th!:)

A_and_N said...

I'd like to try this in future, finish it up and then let out a 'burp' :) Nice recipe!

Unknown said...

Oh god they look so scrumptious TBC.I love blueberries but they are bit expensive here.Nice to know about new recipes

Rachel said...

blueberry clafoutis...looks deliciious but generally somethe clafoutis can taste eggy..that is the only time I don't like it..

Arundathi said...

lovely blueberries! :-) nice job!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I love clafoutis and blueberries even more so this looks delish to me!

Deeba PAB said...

I've been contemplating a cherry clafoutis forever but don't know what to expect...Yours' does look so good! I'm envious of your 2 pints of blueberries!!! Great post!!

Laavanya said...

That looks great... beautifully studded with blueberries. I've not had clafouti before either but was contemplating a cherry one since I have so many cherries on hand.

Sunshinemom said...

I made a vegan version but did not post it as I am really not sure about the taste of a cloufatis - whether to expect it to be cakey or custardy! Could you let me know? I love the berry treasure on yours:) Lovely entry!

sunita said...

Your clafouti looks great...I made one with strawberries a couple of weeks ago :-)

sra said...

How I wish we had all these berries here in India! There's so much you can do with them.

Anonymous said...

I have never tried Clafouti before. Your recipe looks fantastic.

amna said...

that looks so berry-ish :) i saw blueberries in the market here but they are very expensive, think they come from the US :D

Anonymous said...

Oh, yum! Your claufouti looks really delicious. I've never had it before but some time ago, I saved a recipe for it but have never had a chance to make it yet. You've inspired me to look for the recipe again. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Best,
Paz

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Blueberries are one of my favourite fruits. I can't wait for them to be in season and give this clafouti a try:D

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I just made a cherry clafouti and would love to try this blueberry version, as blueberries are my favorite berry.

Anonymous said...

Simple. And surely delicious!

Anonymous said...

Simple. And surely delicious!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Never eaten this or made it either. But I think I should, it looks pretty good.

Miri said...

Cool - this looks like a great mid morning snack!

Deepthi Shankar said...

looks lovely :)

Jaya M said...

Looks yum, But We dont get fresh Berries here in India ...Other than berries can we use other fruits , not sure about this also ..
anyways this surely looks very appetizing .
hugs and smiles
jaya

TheCooker said...

A berry clafouti breakfast would surely start the day off right.

Rajitha said...

yep! these would be great for breakfast with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream...dairy you know ;)

daphne said...

I have not tasted this before but the amount of blueberries in there? To die for..

Ranjani said...

This looks gorgeous, almost too good to eat:)

test it comm said...

Blueberry clafouti sounds like a great idea!

TBC said...

Asha- thank you.:D
Hope you had a good long weekend.:)


A & N- welcome to my blog, and thank you.:D


POE- oh they're expensive here too, and I rarely buy the fresh ones, but these were on sale and I could not resist.:)
Hope you have settled down in your new home by now...


Rachel- I know what you mean 'cos I looked up a few different recipes and most of them mentioned what you were talking about.
Keepng all that in mind, I added some extra vanilla extract and also threw in some lemon zest.


Arundathi- thank you.:D
I love your zebra cake...looks like a work of art!


Meeta- welcome, and thanks for stopping by! :D.
That's indeed a nice compliment coming from you.:)


Deeba- it's nice to see you here.:D
Now that I know what to expect clofouti-wise, I would like to try the traditional cherry one too.
The berries were selling dirt-cheap. I normally don't buy the fresh ones.:)


Laavanya- ooh try the cherry one and tell me what it's like. I would like to know what it tastes like. I saw Alton Brown make one with cherries recently in a Dutch oven.:)


Sunshinemom- do post your version! I wasn't sure what to expect either 'coz it's my first time too. But from what I gather from a few that I saw on the internet, it should be kinda like an egg custard(minus the eggy taste). I do not think it should have the consistency of a cake...at least mine didn't. Hope this helps.:D
Sorry about the late response. Was a bit tied up with a few things.:(


Sunita- thanks. Did you post it? I wanna take a look.:D


Sra- true...but if Arundathi can find them so can you! Have you checked Amma Nana?(I used to love that store and we lived right next to one of 'em)

TBC said...

Syrie- welcome! thanks for visiting.:D. Thank you!



Nags- :D. I don't think I'd have bought them if they hadn't been on sale.



Paz- I am so glad I found your blog! I'll be stopping by now and then for sure.:D



Valli- I hope you like it.:D



Lisa- thank you!:D I would love to see your cherry clafouti. Did you post that already?



Cookinpanda- thank you.:D



Aparna- this should be child's play for you considering some of the things u make/bake.:)


Miri- I never thought of it that way, but yes, why not! :D


Vegetable Platter- thank you.:)



Jaya- No berries where u are ...hmmm....I'm sure you could experiment with what is available there and then tell us all how it went.:D
I'm not too sure myself 'cos this one's new to me too.:D


TC- it sure would! :D


Rajitha- go take that walk right now...even thinking about such things is not right!;-)
...and before you ask, let me tell ya- my elliptical is working just fine for me, thank you! :D



Daphne- nice to see you here after a long time.:D
I still had a pint of blueberries remaining after this!


Ranjani- thank you.:D



Kevin- I'm glad I gave it a shot.:D

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Heyyyy you could send it to me !!! It really looks very delicious, and i'd give anything for a warm slice right now :D

mitr_bayarea said...

Loved your blueberry dish, it looks mouth watering.

ranji said...

clafouti is very new to me...love blue berries...these look gr8..ur 1st click is aweome...such fresh looking berries...and cloufouti looks yumm..

Sujatha said...

I absolutely love your Clafouti! We were at a blue berry farm last weekend and now have a big pouch of berries sitting in my fridge. This recipe sounds good to try! Thanks, TBC :)

karuna said...

looks good. berries and custard, nice.

Padma said...

Thanks TBC, I am doing good.... India trip was hectic...but memorable! I am back to blogging...presently working with my layout, its going crazy!

Anonymous said...

Wow....this dish looks so good! Love the pics.

Cynthia said...

I've never had clafouti before. So much freshness in this dessert!

Cynthia said...

I've never had clafouti before. So much freshness in this dessert!

TBC said...

Kate- First, is it Kate or Kajal?:D
It's nice to see you here. I hope you are fine now.


Mitr- thanks.:D



Ranji- thank you.:D You know, when I was looking for a recipe to use the blueberries, I came across Paula's recipe, and was debating whether to make the dumplings or a clafouti. The clafouti seemed just a tad simpler. I see that you did a great job with the dumplings.:)



Sujatha- thank you! :D
So how did u finally use them? I must head over to your blog and check it out...


Karuna- thank you.:)


Padma- I have never changed mine 'coz I'm scared I might delete something accidentally.:(
I can understand what you mean by hectic...so much to do, so many places/relatives to visit and so little time!

Homecooked- thank you.:D

Cynthia- you have to try making it. It is really simple compared to some of the things you normally make.:D

Jeanne said...

How wonderful this looks - and how verry berried! I am not that fond of blueberries but I want to eat them 'cos I know they're so damn good for me. Seeing as I love making clafoutis, this could be the answer! Thanks for a great WTSIM contribution and a thousand pardons for omitting you from the roudup at first...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. I've never tried making clafoutis but it's made with blueberries...

TBC said...

Jeanne- thank you! :) I checked out your clafouti(s) too.
Apology accepted.:D



Jude- nice to see you here.:D
Hope you get a chance to try it out.

LyB said...

Nothing wrong with a little sweetness for breakfast! This would make a fabulous weekend breakfast, it looks delicious. And blueberries are good for you, bonus! :)

Teresa said...

Yum! This looks delicious.

TBC said...

Lyb- I agree though I am more of a savory BF person.:D


Teresa- thanks!:D

anudivya said...

There it is! Been looking for it all over your blog. Like you said this is almost like a baked pancake. Sound great to me, and wonder what changes I would even try making to this!!! No butter, and it is pretty healthy to me!
Yeah, those sales!!! Got a whole box sitting in my fridge now... been drinking smoothies day in and day out! Wonder if there such a thing as blueberry overdose! :)

Anonymous said...

it is very delicious dessert

TBC said...


Anon- I'm glad you think so!


Anonymous said...

Just made the clafoutis, as per your recipe...delicious! Love the addition of lemon zest. Will definitely make again... Thank you!

TBC said...

Anon- I'm really glad to hear that the recipe worked for you! Thank you for letting me know.

Elizabeth said...

This looks amazing! I love blueberries.

TBC said...

Elizabeth- Thanks!

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.