Saturday, July 12, 2008

Parmesan Popovers

There are some shows on the Food Network that I watch regularly. Every now and then I see a recipe which makes me want to rush into the kitchen and try it out immediately. This was one such recipe that looked really good. I modified the original a bit by adding a couple of other ingredients.
Here’s what I did.

Ingredients:

(For approximately 6 -7 medium popovers)
2 eggs
¾ cup all-purpose flour
6-7 basil leaves, chopped
1 cup milk (I used 2 %)
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, crushed and made into a paste like
this.
1 tsp red chilli flakes
Salt & pepper to taste
Oil to grease the muffin pan

Method:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin. (A
popover pan is said to produce the best results.)

Throw all the ingredients together in the blender and process until just blended, 30-45 seconds. The batter will be thin.

Pour the batter into the muffin cups filling each cup three-fourths full.

Bake for about 30 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Do not peek into the oven for the first 30 minutes! I also let the popovers sit in the oven for another 10-15 minutes after turning off the heat for the tops to get well browned and crusty, and also for the insides to dry out a bit.

Serve right away; they start to deflate almost immediately.

The popovers had a nice and crisp exterior with a slightly hollow, soft interior. These were perfect along with
soup.

This post has some very useful tips on how to make the perfect popovers.


On a different note, I just realized that I’ve now been blogging for a year. I’m really surprised since I always thought that nothing could hold my interest for long!

35 Burps:

amna said...

that's such a catchy name for those beauties :)

notyet100 said...

looks so delicious..

zlamushka said...

happy blogging 1st year anniversary. I am so happy for havign your lovely recipes around and available...
Btw. T&T round-up is up and running, so is July´s challenge. Hope to see you there ...

Rachel said...

Different from the usual sweet ones...Have never had savoury popovers....

Anonymous said...

Wow...ur popovers look great. Even I had made these using Giada's recipe but mine deflated before I could take a pic :(

Laavanya said...

Congratulations TBC on your first blog anniversary! :)
These popovers looks perfect and puffed up.. I've always liked the sound of them but never attempted. So they came out well in a muffin pan itself? I've seen the special pan they use on TV, maybe those are slightly taller and that's the only diff i guess...

Shreya said...

Congrats on your anniversary!. The popovers are so perfect, like laavanya mentioned. Lovely picture.

sunita said...

Congrats dear TBC on your first blogversary...and those popovers look great :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your blogiversart, TBC.
Lesson to myself: NEVER visit TBC's blog before going to bed. It is impossible to sleep with a salivating mouth.

bee said...

beautiful popovers.

Lisa Turner said...

I love popovers, but never thought to make a Parmesan version. A must try.

A very happy blog birthday to you! I look forward to another year of your delicious creations.

karuna said...

nice recipe, and congrats on ure blogs happy birday.......

Rajitha said...

happy birthday to you...happy birthday to you dear blog :)..congrats missy!!..and why am i not surprized at the inspiration for the recipe ;)

Lore said...

Savoury is the way to go :) They look delicious!
Congrats on your first blog anniversary, I'm glad you didn't lose interest :D.

Raaga said...

Lovely stuff... perfect with soup :-) I'm bookmarking this.

Happy birthday TBC :-)

Susan said...

The year went by pretty fast, didn't it? Happy 1st, TBC. Love your popovers. They would make a nice addition to the bread basket of an Italian dinner.

@the_whisk_affair said...

congrats on ur one year anniversary!! :-)

the pop overs look amazing! its great that u cud take the pictures before they deflated!! :-) thanks for all the additional info, TBC!

mitr_bayarea said...

TBC-

Parmesan popovers look like great muffins,thanks for sharing.

Uma said...

the popovers look so inviting and beautiful. Congrats on completing a year of blogging. Wishing you many more.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

this recipe sounds cool! I have some parmesan lying in my fridge. Will try this soon and let you know. thanx

Bhags said...

nice popovers.....never tried any, but i dont have a muffin pan....lets see when wud i get one

A_and_N said...

So cute! :) And congrats on the first anniv. May you have many more!

Swati said...

Popovers sounds delicious and savoury ones are not seen so much.. these will be devoured in seconds!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I have never tried popovers, and these look irresistible! I love anything parmesan.

Vaishali said...

Yum, popovers! They look delicious, TBC.

Pooh said...

TBC! I love your blog!
Thank you for the encouraging comments and Happy One Year Anniversary to the 'The Budding Cook'.

Cris said...

Oh popovers... I haven't made them in such a long time, they are great with a good soup... your recipe looks great.

test it comm said...

Those parmesan popovers look good!

Anonymous said...

Clafoutis...popovers...there are delicious things cooking in this kitchen!

Sujatha said...

Congrats on your first anniversary in blogsophere! thats indeed a great milestone! Beautiful popovers..

A_and_N said...

Great looking poppers. I am surprised that they rose so well without any baking soda/powder! Thats amazing.

And congrats on the 'anniversary' :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. It traced me back to your blog:) which I loved a lot. You have great recipes and pictures! I just subscribed to you to learn more from you:)

Oh, these popover sound and look so delicious! They are easy to make too. A must try.

Also, happy anniversary to you!! Wishing you many more years of blogging!

Namratha said...

I've been planning to make these from a loong time. Hmm tell me about the urge to rush into the kitchen and try it out instantly...that never seems to happen though :P

Good going on blogging for a year! :)

TBC said...

Nags, notyet100, Rachel, Homecooked, Bee, Mitr_bayarea, Ramya, Bhags, Swati, Patricia, Vaishali, Cris, Kevin and Nupur- I thank each and every one of you for your input. Thanks for your most encouraging comments! :D

TBC said...

Zlamushka- thank you!:D Very sweet of u to say that! I did check out the round-up- what a great one it is, and you are a good hostess.:D

Laavanya- thank you so much for the wishes!:D
I'd say that a regular muffn pan's fine. If Giada says it's o.k. to use a muffin pan, I'm not gonna dispute that.;-)


Shreya- thank you for the good wishes and for your sweet commnet.:D


Sunita- thank you!:D


Lakshmi- thanks for stopping by. It's been a while...
You are too kind!


Lisa- thank you.:D
Please try them out, I'm sure you'll like 'em.



Karuna- thank you very much!:D



Rajitha- thank you, my dear!
You know, Giada's going to have a new show in another month or so. I'm so excited! How do ya feel??? ;-)



Lore- I'm glad too!:D Thanks for the good wishes.:)


Raaga- yes, it was really good with soup. Do give me some feedback (preferably the good kind) when you do make it.;-)
Thank you for the wishes.:D


Susan- It sure did! Thank you.:D
I'm glad that I'm still here.


JZ- thank you.:D Actually, all of them except one(the first one in the pic) had started to deflate. I just kept the one that was good in focus.;-)


Uma- thank you so much! :D



A & N- thank you.:D
The eggs do the job here...



Pooja- I'm glad you stopped by, and thanks for the warm wishes.:D



Sujatha- Thanks!:D I never thought I'd last this long!



Farida- I'm so glad to see you here! I love your blog. Seom of your recipes are simply great. I have gone back to check out your Zebra cake so many times now!
Thank you so much for the good wishes.:D



Namratha- it's so nice to see you here! I have not been blog-hopping as much I used to...too much to do these days! How have you been?
Thank you for the wishes.:D

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.