Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Vegetable Kurma

I came across Sia’s adapted version of a Panchranga Korma many months ago, and was inspired enough to make my own. As usual, I did not have even half the ingredients that the recipe called for, but wanted to make it anyway. So after much tweaking and substituting, this is how it was prepared. It was the perfect way to use up all the little bits and pieces of vegetables just lying around.

Ingredients:
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic paste
½ tsp ginger paste
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 Tbsp Oil
Salt to taste

To be cooked in a little bit of water (reserve water for later use) till tender:
1 potato, peeled and cubed
10-15 baby carrots, chopped
½ cup french beans
¼ cup peas

Grind to a paste:
3 Tbsp coconut
1 cup coriander leaves (cilantro)
A handful of almonds (soaked in water for a few minutes)
5-6 green chillies

Method:
Heat the oil in a pan. Add the ginger-garlic paste followed by the onions. Sauté for 2 minutes.

Add the chilli powder followed by the ground paste and cook for 3-5 minutes.

Toss in the cooked vegetables along with the water (adjust according to consistency desired) that was used to cook them in.
Mix well and continue cooking on medium heat for 3-5 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.

Serve hot. We had this with garlic naan.

This goes to Srivalli for her Curry Mela.

15 Burps:

Sujatha said...

kurma looks delicious! and I love your chocolate pannacotta too!

Rachel said...

Lookwise it does resemble avial....good one

TBC said...

Sujatha- thanks! :D


Rachel- now that you mention it, it does look like an avial! :) But this one's a kurma- carrots, peas, french beans and potatoes are all a no-no in our avials.;D

sra said...

Almonds and coconut, that strikes me as unusual. Was it heavy on the estomac?

amna said...

we add carrots and beans in our avial :) but yeah kurma is different cuz of the masala we use in it!

Laavanya said...

I love how the gravy hugs the vegetables... sounds simple and yummy...
The avial I make has carrots, peas, beans, potatoes and even cauliflower sometimes - blasphemy?! :)

Rajitha said...

has been a long time i have seen an indian dish in ur blog ms. international ;)..the kurma looks delicious...so does the naan on the side...

ST said...

Kurma looks delicious and awesome.

Mandira said...

the korma is such a comfort food for me. But I have been eying the panna cotta. It looks fantastic!

Richa said...

now that is a quick one. so u saute onion only for 2 mins right? no browning the onions? tx

TBC said...

Sra- hey, I just addded it 'cos Sia had.;-) I was glad that I had at least something from her ingredient list! :D
Was it heavy? I don't think so. In any case most Kerala preparations have coconut. As for the handful of almonds, my hands are small.;-)


Nags- really? We never use those veggies for avial, at least not that I know of. :D


Laavanya- aiyyooo! cauliflower and peas?!
I guess there are regional variations. You are forgiven. :D


Rajitha- I had not realized that this was the first Indian dish this month! :D. The naan was from the Indian store.:( I cannot be bothered making such things!


Sireesha- thank you.:D


Mandira- it is good to see you here. How have you been? :)



Richa- I just do everything andaaz se. But I did not brown the onions.:D

Mallika said...

Looks delicious. I would probably cook the veggies in the pan with the spices to lose one step of the recipe.

TBC said...

Mallika- I should have done that! I blindly followed the original recipe there.:D

Anonymous said...

Being so interested in cooking and blogging about it, I dont understand how you often seem to mention that you dont have all the required ingredients !

I feel this is just a way to take an original recipe, mkae minor modifictaions and pass it off like u made a major difference !!

TBC said...


Anon- thanks for your valuable comment. Going through my blog's stats, I see you've spent a little bit of time here- you're clearly a fan!


Are you implying that I'm trying to pass off others' recipes as my own?I owe you no explanation but I'll just tell you this- whenever I've used another recipe as a reference point, I've always given credit to the soure, sometimes even when I've felt that it was really not required since my recipe was nothing like the "original" to begin with, but I've done it anyway. What according to you is "original" anyway?

Where cooking is concerned, I'm inspired by what I see around me, I modify it according to what I have on hand and what my tastes are at the time, and I log it here for my reference.

Would you like to leave a name (if you do come back again), or would you like me to refer to you by your IP address?

And oh, if you don't like what you see here, please feel free to not visit at all.

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.