Monday, August 4, 2008

Aloo ki Sabzi (Spiced Gravied Potatoes)

This is a dish that has been heavily inspired by Ranjani's recipe. I just made a couple of changes as I went along. Here's my version of it.

Ingredients:
3 potatoes, boiled, peeled, and coarsely mashed
¼ onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped finely
½ - 1 tsp freshly grated ginger

For seasoning:
Oil
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
A pinch of asafoetida

½ cup tomato ketchup
1 Tbsp tomato paste

1 heaped tsp coriander powder
¾ -1 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste


Method:
Heat oil in a large pan. Temper it with the ingredients listed above.

Add the ginger and garlic followed by the chopped onions. Sauté till the onions are done.

Add the ketchup, tomato paste, and coriander and chilli powders. Mix well and cook, 3-5 minutes.

Next, add the mashed potatoes along with 1-1 ½ cups of water depending on the consistency desired. Cover and cook till the gravy thickens, 10-12 minutes.

Serve hot with rice or rotis. We had this with some dal-rice and absolutely loved it. I will definitely be making this again and again! It was tasty, spicy, tangy and more!

Thank you for sharing a fantastic recipe,
Ranjani.


Off this goes to Sunshinemom for
Food in Colours: Red.

17 Burps:

amna said...

love the colour! somehow all my aloo gravies turn out yellow :D or pale white :D

Rachel said...

Now I know what to make for lunch :)

Anonymous said...

Love potatoes in any form. The colour of the sabzi is very rich.looks yummy.

Laavanya said...

That sounds so tomatoey and tangy - very quick too.

Rajitha said...

U r killing me here...what with an entry or two or three per day!! Are you on some spring..err...summer end clean up the drafts mode?? the sabji looks delicious..now some rotis please :)

Vaishali said...

What luscious-looking potatoes, TBC. There's a similar Konkani version with tamarind that I sometimes make.

Mallika said...

My fiend makes something like this and calls it station aloo. To be served with pooris. Looks too good.

delhibelle said...

mmm..the aloo gravy looks so tasty.

Swati said...

Mmm..aloo ki subzi looks so so yummy!!

Sunshinemom said...

Thank you for sending in the universal favourite!! I too love this, and add a little mattar for that dash of green:)

Lore said...

Coariander, chilli and cumin sounds like a winner 3C to me. Looks like a great way to enjoy potatoes!

EC said...

Delightful color...waiting to see what u post for my WYF:color event :-)

Rajani said...

hello there!! dropped in couple of times last week and posted comments (panna cota) etc... but something's the matter with my connection. the comment box just blanks out! trouble with dial up i guess. yea how jurrasic! anyways hoping for the broadband in a couple of days, sure things will be better then. the potato tomato curry looks yummy for my tummy! :)

TBC said...

Nags- I guess the color is 'cos of the chilli pdr, tomato paste and ketchup.:D


Rachel- I hope you like it. If not, let's blame Ranjani.;-)


Homecooked- I do too.:D thanks.


Laavanya- yes.:)



Rajitha- bola na? :D
thanks.:)


Vaishali- oooh, that would work too for me! :)



Mallika- 'cos it's served at those little stalls at stations? I like that name! :D


Rashmi, Swati and Sunshinemom- thank you very much! :)



Lore- these spices are used commonly in Indian cooking. Do try it. You must cut down on the spices though.:)


EC- thanks.:) I would love to participate but am hard pressed for time these days.:(



Rajani-I'm sorry that I never got your comments.:(
Hope the connection issues are resolved soon.
Thanks for stopping by frequently despite the problems.:)


Poonam- where have you been? Nice to see you.:)

Ranjani said...

I'm glad you liked it:)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

if you travel by train between mugalsarai and delhi, it is one of the favorite dish sold at platforms at allahabad, kanpur, aligarh stations......

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.