Friday, March 13, 2009

Ricotta and Nutella Phyllo Shells

Ricottanutellacup3

I bought a jar of Nutella a couple of weeks back since I wanted to try out a few Nutella recipes that I’d bookmarked.

Gattina has a recipe for a fantastic dessert that makes use of ricotta cheese and Nutella and it is as delicious as it is simple. I’d no idea that ricotta worked well in desserts since I’d only used it in savory dishes before.

Ingredients:
(For approximately 15 phyllo cups)

¾ cup ricotta cheese
3 Tbsp Nutella
1 tsp cocoa powder
A pinch of salt
Phyllo cups (I used the pre-made small shells from the store)
For garnishing the cups:

Chocolate shavings
Coconut flakes

Method:
In a bowl, beat the ricotta cheese until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, salt and Nutella and mix well. Chill, spoon into phyllo cups, garnish, and serve.


I thought that the ricotta and Nutella combination was unique and it made for a creamy and luscious dessert. Thanks for the inspiration, Gattina!

Ricottanutellacup2

33 Burps:

Raaga said...

I have phyllo pastry at home... and 2 tubs of ricotta... just need to get the nutella :-) this seems so doable :) I have got to try.

amna said...

That looks so delicious! Your pics are looking better by the post :) awesome!

Finla said...

I can imagine crunching to these beauties.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow luscious and tempting...I too have a bottle waiting in my pantry...But getting those shells here is difficult i think...Still thinking what to make with nutella...

FH said...

Gattina has a treasure trove of desserts, doesn't she? I am scared even to try her's because I can't match her caliber! These look so good and easy too, love your photos as well. Enjoy! :)

Laavanya said...

We are big nutella fans at home... i've not tasted with ricotta before - sounds cream and super delicious. Very elegant too with the phyllo shells.

Vani said...

Oh, that looks so good, TBC!

Purnima said...

TBC, thats a lovely one!!! Looks very scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

not fair TBC....not fair to just post the picture and recipe.. send some across. they look very very tempting and irresistible. yummmmmmmy

Chutneytales said...

Its lip-smacking delicious..Yum yum!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea - looks and sounds delicious!

A_and_N said...

Burp? I am HUNGRY! I could live off Nutella. Such a gorgeous pic too :)

Lisa Turner said...

Wow! I love ricotta in everything. Lately I've been using it in scrambled eggs.

Raks said...

great picture TBC!!Sounds great too!

Snooky doodle said...

ohh these must be so so good :) i m mad about nutella :)

Anonymous said...

What do I have to do to get one of these?

DeLiCiouS!

test it comm said...

Those look so good!

Uma said...

yummy shells! looks mouth-watering with that filling.

Varsha Vipins said...

Love love love Nutella's..the pics has left me craving..!!

Ranjani said...

They look delightfully sinful!!
Great pics as usual:)

SJ said...

Ohh that looks delicious!

TBC said...


Raaga- and it is! You just need to make your cups. :)

Nags and Happy Cook- thank you! :D


Kitchen Flavors- you could just eat it straight out of the jar. I finished more than half my Nutella just having a spoonful or two after dinner.:D It tastes just great even without the cups.


Asha- she sure does. I have bookmarked a couple of simple ones. Thank you.:)

Laavanya- thank you.:D It tastes just as good even without the shells but the shells do lend a nice crunch to every bite.

Vani, Purnima, Mahimaa, Madhumathi and Farida- thank you very much.:)


A & N- Me too! :D


Lisa- oooh, now there's an idea! I'll keep that in mind for next time.:)

Raks- thank you! :)


Snooky doodle- ah, another Nutella lover...:D


Purplesque- thanks! :D


Kevin, Uma, Varsha and Ranjani- thank you! :)


SJ- I believe it's your first time here... welcome! :) Thank you.

sra said...

*Disgustingly fulfilled burp just on seeing the pix*

Anonymous said...

I love nutella! I can have it just plain. The dish looks superb!

TBC said...


Sra- thanks. :D

Homecooked- thank you.:)
That's what I did too with most of the Nutella. I only had enough to make this.:)

Anonymous said...

mmm,can I grab one from across the screen :p

So tempting....

Anonymous said...

Nutella is my favorite too. With ricotta it's the other way round for me. I had tried it in sweet dishes but not in savory until recently. It's very easy to make and looks very cute too.

You should also try kalakand using ricotta, it's so good. Just boil milk, add ricotta and sugar and keep stirring until it solidifies a little and pour it on a greased plate. Cut it after it cools.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by:-)

That is one lovely cup! my jar(s) of nutella is almost gone gone.. i get mine from costco! this looks like a great bite size thing.. i think even my kids will love.

TBC said...



Nimmy - thanks.:)

Madhuram- I usually use ricotta (in savory dishes) to make pasta sauce. It gives the sauce a nice creamy texture.
Kalakand uses a lot of milk, right? I'm not too crazy about milk or milk based sweets.:( But maybe I could try using it to make other sweets...

Soma- and it's good to see you here.:)

Miri said...

I hate nutella - but this dish is going to tempt even me to try it!

Sharmi said...

the dessert cups look very beautiful! I too have made similar cups, they are great for parties.
Thanks for trying the plantain subzi! hope you liked it.

Pooh said...

Growing up, my dad would buy these tiny nutella tubs that had all of two-bites of goop in it. My brother and I would lick it clean everytime! Thanks for bringing back the memory, dear TBC.

Rumela said...

I like this Gattina recipe. these Ricotta and Nutella Phyllo Shells are sure to taste great and are extremely nutritious as well. I am going to make for the holidays when my kids will be at home. I'll be sure that what they are eating is healthy.

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.