Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cranberry Ricotta Loaf

Cranberry Ricotta Loaf4


I had a lot of cranberry sauce left over from Thanksgiving which I promptly froze till I figured out what to do with it. I pulled it out of the freezer recently when I had some leftover ricotta cheese. I decided to use both cheese and sauce in some kind of a cake. Loosely inspired by this recipe from Inside The Kaganoff Kitchen, I gathered my ingredients together and set about making the cake.



Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.


In a bowl mix together the following dry ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt

In another bowl, beat together these wet ingredients:

  • 8 oz ricotta cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 scant cup of sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Zest of a small lemon
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • A couple of splashes of milk (I did this to thin out the batter a bit)
  • ½ - ¾ cup cranberry sauce (I do not have a recipe for this- this was just something my husband had made for Thanksgiving)

Combine the dry and wet ingredients (except the cranberry sauce) together. Mix well. The batter will be a relatively thick one.


Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. I had enough batter for a loaf pan and a small heart-shaped pan.


Place half of the batter in the loaf pan. Add a layer of cranberry sauce followed by the rest of the batter. Then add the remaining sauce in small blobs all over the surface of the batter and run a knife through it to create swirls on top.


Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out relatively clean.


Cool, slice and serve.


Cranberry Ricotta Loaf2


3 Burps:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious TBC :)

Katerina said...

I love the chocolate treats you made and the cake looks absolutely delicious!

TBC said...


Homecooked- Thank you. :)


Katerina- Welcome to my blog!



Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.