Monday, March 26, 2012

Banana Bread

Banana bread1



I made some banana bread over the weekend. This is the recipe I usually follow when I’m making banana bread, but this time I was looking for something different and wanted to try another recipe for a change. I came across this one that looked very good, but at the last moment I realized that I did not have sour cream, a key ingredient in the recipe. So I made a few substitutions and ended up with a recipe that is a combination of both the recipes with a few additional ingredients thrown in. 

Here's what needs to be done-

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour your pan.  (I had enough batter for my regular 8 x 4- inch loaf pan and a mini one too.)


Mix together the following ingredients in a bowl-
  • 1 ½  cup flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½  tsp. salt
  • A pinch of cardamom powder
  • ¼  tsp powdered cloves
  • ½  tsp cinnamon



In another bowl, beat together these wet ingredients-
  • ¾  cup sugar
  • ½  cup olive oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup mashed banana (from about 2   very ripe bananas)
  • ½  cup yogurt (I used low-fat)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract


Combine the dry and wet ingredients together and mix well. Fold in the following -
  • ¼  cup butterscotch morsels
  • ¼  cup toffee bits (I used Heath Bits ‘O Brickle Toffee Bits)
  • ½  cup toasted and chopped hazelnuts


Pour the batter into the greased pans. Bake for  45-50 minutes  or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out relatively clean. My small loaf was done in 30-35 minutes. Cool, slice and serve.


The recipe was a success- the bread had the perfect amount of sweetness, and it was soft and moist. A slice or two of  this delicious loaf  makes a wonderful accompaniment to a cup of tea. 



Banana bread2

6 Burps:

Finla said...

Love banana bread and this looks super moist and yumm.

Laavanya said...

TBC - i made banana bread over the weekend too! That's when i thought how weird it is that i had never blogged abt it since it's one of those things i make quite often.
Yours looks really moist and perfect.

Unknown said...

So soft and moist...yumm

Hari Chandana P said...

OMG.. mouth watering here.. looks super soft and tempting.. thanks for the recipe dear :)
Indian Cuisine

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Looks soft bread...nice

TBC said...

Finla- It's so nice to see you here!


Laavanya- It's the things I make regularly that never get blogged about- that explains why Indian food, which is what I make 90% of the time, is never seen around here.
Yeah, I make banana bread every now and then but thought of posting the recipe only recently. :


Sharmilee- Thank you!


Hari Chandana- Thank you.


Vanamala Hebbar- Thanks.

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.