Saturday, May 5, 2012

Baked Tortilla Chips with Pico de Gallo



Recently, after a meal of quesadillas for dinner, I still had a few tortillas left in the pack.  I used it to make a batch of tortilla chips.

I usually just buy tortilla chips from the store, but at times like this, when I have too many tortillas, I like to make my own chips and try out different flavor combinations.

Tortilla chips2


Here are some of the flavorings I've used  in the past while making tortilla chips-
*Roasted cumin powder + salt
*Salt + Pepper + Chilli powder
*Tomato-Basil-Garlic seasoning blend (I use Mrs. Dash)
*Italian seasoning (I mix together equal amounts of dried marjoram, thyme, rosemary, oregano and celery salt.)
*Old Bay seasoning blend


For making the tortilla chips:
Mix lemon pepper seasoning blend (I use Mrs. Dash this time)  and salt with oil; brush the mixture on both sides of the tortilla. Repeat with all the tortillas, stack them up and cut into wedges.
Spread them out on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake at 350 F for 8-12 minutes or until crisp.




Salsa1



I made some salsa to go with the chips.
To prepare the salsa, chop up 2 tomatoes, a small onion, some cilantro, and a jalapeno. Toss it all together with some lime juice and salt. My salsa was a little too chunky so I pulsed it a couple of times in my food chopper.



5 Burps:

Hari Chandana P said...

Woww.. Yummy !!!!
Indian Cuisine

Laavanya said...

I too make baked tortilla chips when I have leftovers... never tried all these seasonings.. usually stick to plain or salt and chilli powder.

That picture of the salsa is just too beautiful for words.

Finla said...

I am in love with that delicious looking salsa. How are you it is long ago i have been here.

raquel@eRecipe.com said...

I also buy tortilla chips. Having this recipe, I will have the experience of baking my own tortillas with different flavors. The salsa looks delicious! Thanks for sharing =)

TBC said...

Hari Chandana- Thanks!



Laavanya- I always end up with more tortillas than I know what to do with when I buy a pack. I think lemon-pepper is my favorite flavor :)



Finla- I'm doing good- thank you! :) How are you?



Raquel- You are welcome! :)

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.