Saturday, March 22, 2008

Balsamic Strawberries with Whipped Mascarpone Cheese


I stumbled across this recipe while I was looking for something simple to do with the strawberries that had just been purchased. I made this last night and it was a huge hit.

Ingredients:
15-20 fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 tsp (or more) of sugar

For the syrup:
1/3 cup
balsamic vinegar
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice

For whipping together:
2-3 Tbsp
mascarpone cheese (at room temperature)
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence

Serves 2

Method:
In a bowl, gently toss the strawberries with the sugar. Let it stand for 15 minutes or so until the strawberries have released their juices.

Meanwhile, combine the balsamic vinegar, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and the vinegar is reduced to a syrup-like consistency (takes about 5 minutes). Cool.

Whip together the mascarpone cheese, sugar and vanilla essence.
Portion the strawberries with their juices, mixed with a bit of balsamic syrup into serving bowls. Top with the mascarpone mixture and drizzle with the remaining balsamic syrup.

Balsamic vinegar has a lovely sweet flavor with a hint of tartness. Reducing it only intensifies the goodness. The mascarpone, the strawberries and the balsamic vinegar go really well together to make a quick dessert that is absolutely heavenly.


Off this goes to Mike @ Mike’s Table for Strawberry Seduction.


Some other recipes using balsamic vinegar:
Chocolate Balsamic Truffles
Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter

Another quick dessert with mascarpone cheese:
Peach and Mascarpone Phyllo Cups



I decided to have some fun with the balsamic vinegar while putting this together.
I clicked a couple of pictures and decided to send this one over to Bee and Jai at Jugalbandi for
Click: Metal.

A spoonful of balsamic vinegar

48 Burps:

EC said...

Nice idea for click

Dhivya said...

nice click and yummy recipe

Seena said...

Excellent!! Ingredients are not much familiar to me.. though love to try it out.. :)

Lia said...

looks very refreshing

Purnima said...

Gorgeous dish, am drooling! The entry for click is awesome!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Who says dessert needs to be complicated to be special:D

AnuZi said...

Oh my gosh that looks soooooo good. Excellent recipe and gorgeous pic :o)

Laavanya said...

What a luscious dessert that is TBC and I love your click entry.. very modern! :)

Kalai said...

I love the combo of strawberries and balsamic syrup! So delicious and the addition of mascarpone must be awesome! Nice entry for Click! :)

Deeba PAB said...

Hi TBC...I saw the Click entry & it grabbed me by the eyballs...got here as soon as I could. Lovely lovely click, what a luscious dessrt idea. Hope I can find some balsamic vinegar here. Other option would be to start making my own...hmmmmmm. Beautiful post indeed!!

Uma said...

Wow, the scramble looks fabulous. Yummy! Nice click too!

Vaishali said...

What a gorgeous strawberry recipe, tbc. I love the spoonful of balsamic picture too.

Namratha said...

Lovely pic T, and interesting recipe too. Looks yummylicious :)

TheCooker said...

Fresh strawberries and balsamic vinegar is favoutite combo of mine. I can see how m.cheese can make it even better.

musical said...

Great idea, TBC! No wonder it was such a huge hit!

Raks said...

Thats a nice entry for click! Nice dessert with strawberries...

Seema said...

That looks yum! Strawberry & Mascapone Cheese.. perfect together!

J said...

Can you send some over? :)

Priyanka said...

Oh i have so much catching up to do.... i missed out on so many recipes because of the break... each and every single recipe of yours is so tempting and the pictures are just droolworthy. Congratulations on your awards...you deserve them.

Richa said...

hey, that sounds like one lovely combo :)

amna said...

lovely shot! i just posted my entry too :)

Lisa Turner said...

I've no doubt this recipe was a huge hit. I'm always impressed with your use of balsamic vinegar! I just finished dinner and wish I could eat this for dessert right now!

Suganya said...

This is a different recipe....Love balsamic vinegar..... YUM!.... Lovely....

Anonymous said...

Oh you made the balsamic strawberries too! Now I'm double inspired from this recipe and your beautiful creations!
I also love your grape smoothie too! That's definitely a new one for us!

Katy said...

so yummy!!! stupendously brilliant minds obviously think alike. and i *love* that last photo!

SMN said...

nice idea for click and great recipe

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

hi there, long time...how u doin!!, my!!that image of the vinegar is class!!!, honeslty, i am still repeating, u definitely need to be baptised again...change ur name!....do keep in touch..luv..sona

Anonymous said...

Hi TBC,

Thanks for visiting my site. Since I'm into eggless baking, I think I should try this one and your chocolate cake.

But I'm skeptical about the balsamic vinegar. I've not tasted it so far, hope I will like it.

Sia said...

loved ur click TBC...

Swati said...

What a marvel with strawberries....Excellent snaps TBC!!

Susan said...

This dessert always tastes and looks sophisticated. I just love mascarpone, even more than heavy whipping cream. Nice touch, TBC.

(P.S. - I'll send you an email w/in a day or so to answer your tech ?s. Happy to.)

Sreelu said...

TBC, excellent pic for click

Anonymous said...

great pic TBC also a great recipe for a quick dessert!! I have already bookmarked it!!

Revathi said...

The spoonful of vinegar is superbbbb!!!

Anonymous said...

Its an beautiful pic for click. Very nice creativity. I love mascarpone cheese. Nice recipe.

TBC said...

EC, Dhivya, Seena, Lia, Purnima, Valli, Anuzi, Laavanya, Kalai, Deeba, Uma, Vaishali, Namratha, TC, Musical, Raks, Seema, Jyothsna, Priyanka, Richa, Nags, Lisa, Sukanya, Katy, SMN, Sia, Swati, Sreelu, Dee, Revathi and Shriya- thank you for your lovely comments. I appreciate each and every one of them! :)


White on rice couple- welcome! and thank you!:-)



Sona- you are being very kind now...baptised again!:D... lol



Madhuram- welcome!
My chocolate cake does not have a recipe:-( I got it from somewhere and have no idea where it was sourced from now...


Susan- thanks.
Regarding the e-mail- take your time...no rush...I will always have some question or the other. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow...this looks just heavenly!

Cynthia said...

Ummmm, what an exotic treat this is.

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Great photos, and I love balsamic vinegar with strawberries!

Meera said...

wonderful recipe and entry for click!

Jaya M said...

TBC
its good click ..all the best ..

and the desert looks so mouth watering ...with strawberries ,its definitely an exotic one ..
hugs and smiles
jaya

SeeC said...

Hi TBC,

Hope you are doing good.
Sorry for not being in touch.
Was held up with too many things...
Made my trip to India during Dec.

Thanks for your New Year Wishes.
Wish you too a Happy New Year (Its never too late i guess :) )
I was really happy to see your wish.

Take care.
Will come back to see the receipes.

Divya and Chaya said...

Common girl, you are going to spoil our diet by posting these mouthwatering pics!!(;-).

TBC said...

Homecooked- thank you.:-)


Cynthia- it is super delicious!:-)



EMWK- thanks:-)
I do too. I love the sweet and tangy flavor.



Meera- thank you. :)



Jaya- thank you so much for the ther cooment too. It is most encouraging!



Seec- it is so nice to see you here! Hope you will start blogging too when you have the time. You must have had a great time with family and friends in India.I peeked into your other blog too. You've been busy travelling to other places too, u lucky thing!

Thanks for the wishes. You're right- it's never too late!:-)



D & C- how have u been girls? It is nice to see you.:-)

Purnima said...

Your pic is much tempt-atious than the original one! wow..

TBC said...

Thanks, Purnima!:-)

Ranjani said...

I love the way the balsamic vinegar and the mascarpone cheese pair with the strawberries!
Great pics:)

TBC said...

Ranjani- welcome to my blog! and thank you.:-)

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.