Thursday, June 5, 2008

Tortelloni in Creamy Tomato Sauce

Tortelloni are stuffed pasta prepared by shaping the pasta dough into a circle or a square, and then stuffing it with a filling that is usually made up of ricotta cheese, herbs and leafy vegetables such as spinach. They are usually served either with ragù or with a simple sauce made of melted butter and sage leaves.

As usual, I took the easy way out and made use of the store-bought ones. For those of you interested,
this post explains how to make tortelloni from scratch.

This is how I made it.


Preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves 2-3
Ingredients:
A pack of tortelloni (I used 8.8 oz. of ricotta & spinach tortelloni)
2- 3 garlic cloves, minced
3-4 shallots, chopped finely
15-20 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (adjust according to requirement/tolerance)
2 tsp of adobo sauce
2 Tbsp ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt
Lemon juice

Method:
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add the tortelloni, and cook according to the package instructions. Drain well after reserving a cup of the pasta water and return to the pot.

In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and shallots and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt and the chipotle pepper along with the sauce. Cook until the tomatoes are soft.

Add the ricotta cheese to the pan and mix well to make a creamy tomato sauce.

Add the sauce to the cooked tortelloni . Toss to combine. Add the reserved pasta water to thin out the sauce if required.


Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the tortelloni and garnish with chives. Serve hot.

This goes to Kevin @ Closet Cooking who is guest hosting Ruth's Presto Pasta Night this week.

I'm also sending this to Archana @ Archana's Kitchen for her "One Dish Meal" event.

30 Burps:

Arundathi said...

mmm... love tortellini ... lovely picture!

Lisa Turner said...

Bring on the heat. Yes, please. And thank you.

Raaga said...

I have store bought tortellini... will make... I used to make it from scratch before :-))) your presentation is beautiful as always

Madhavi said...

WOW this is my fav, love tortellini. I must say wonderful recipe and taste great with chipotle pepper. Thanxxx for sharing!!!

delhibelle said...

Looks so delicious! I made similarly shaped chinese wontons sometime back. Will post it soon:)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...looks yummy!

TNL said...

Look at those beauties! I love it..they are so good with some Parmesan cheese and some plain butter melted on top too. I can't do sage butter...something about that herb...

cheers,
trupti
the spice who loved me

FH said...

Oh, I love those Topi pasta, love the Spinach and cheese ones. Looks yummy girl!:))

Finla said...

Yumm looks so good.
You do make wonderful array of food.

Laavanya said...

I buy store-bought too.. with spinach or mushroom filling. I've always made a butter-garlic sauce. This sauce looks delicious. I'm a big fan of creamy tomato sauce right along with pesto.

ranji said...

Hi TBC....
this is one pasta i havent tried..looks so tempting and good...love the shapes of tortelini's...Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

bha said...

nice recipe for a tortelloni....lovely pic

Suganya said...

Love 5 cheese tortelleni a lot. Urs looks great with a tomato sauce. YUM! YUM1

Unknown said...

Oh God this is too delicious.I love the filling. It is a great combo.

Sunshinemom said...

Very delicious! I have made stuffed pasta but never this one.

mitr_bayarea said...

TBC-

Tortelloni looks yummy, I only wish I can find the vegetarian ones with spinach in stores here. Most of the time, in stores like Trder Joes etc. I only find meat based tortelloni.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

wow lovely recipe....

Uma said...

I just love any kind of pasta! the tortelloni looks so delicious and inviting! Yummy.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Yum, my kids would love it.

Rachel said...

I love tortellonis as well..but the cheese and the garlic filling...I'm trying your version the next time..
This reminds of the tortellini/tortelloni-making class I attended..it was fun..Only then did I realize the (simple) difference between the two...

test it comm said...

Looks good! Store bought tortellini is great for making quick and tasty pasta dishes!

TBC said...

Arundathi- thank you!:D


Lisa- the hotter, the better- yeah! that's what I'm saying too!:)


Raaga- now that's something you'll never catch me doing;-) I'm too lazy to put in all that effort.



Madhavi- thank you.:)



Rashmi- have I ever told u how much I like your blog name?! :D
So, you make it from scratch too, huh?



Homecooked- thanks.:)



Trupti- It's good to see you here. Hope you have settled down after the move.:)
I've had raviloi (which is very similar to this) with butter and it does taste really good!



Asha- topi pasta!:D



HC- That is very sweet of u to say that! I only post the good ones though, that's why it all seems good to you.:D



Laavanya- I've had a balsamic brown butter sauce before but never thought to add garlic.:)
Why do u buy the store-bought ones? I know u make your own ravioli, so this one's almost like that, na?


Ranji- I liked the cute shapes too.:D



Bhags- thank you!:D



Sukanya- thak you! thank you! :D



POE- I did too, but I did not make that.:D



Sunshinemom- you're another one of those who makes it from scratch! Wow!


Mitr- thank you!
You know what you should do then? make your own! :D
BTW, your name reminds me of the lovely movie by the same name.:)


Vanamala- thank you.:)



Uma- thanks!:)



Helene-:-)



Rachel- Wow! you attended a class for that? So making it is not as easy as it looks, huh?

I realized the difference between the two only when I started writing this post! :D



Kevin- thanks! it sure is and I always take the easy way out.:)

zlamushka said...

lovely pasta, I am a huge fan of all kinds. great pic.
By the way, round-up for T&T May is up now. Hope you re ready for the June challenge.

Vani said...

Tortellini I love! And I buy the tri-color ones coz that works with M better! Lovely pic there ,TBC :)

TBC said...

Z- thank you.
You have my entry in your inbox.:D


Vani- yeah, kids would find that very appealing.:D

Rajitha said...

GJ..it looks delicious :)..sorry for not commenting earlier...

Archana Doshi said...

Perfect and delish. Will surely try this version. I would also love for you to send this recipe to the ONE DISH MEAL EVENT I am hosting. The details for the event can be found in my site http://www.archanaskitchen.com/2008/uncategorized/monthly-one-dish-event-meals/

Lore said...

Your dish is my favourite of this Presto Pasta Night roundup!!! YUMMY

Ruth Daniels said...

Great dish. I always love a new spin on an old favorite. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

TBC said...

Rajitha- GJ??



Archana- I will definitely send it across.:D Thanks for letting me know...



Lore- welcome! thanks for stopping by.:)



Ruth- you are very welcome! :)

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.