Thursday, August 6, 2009

Eggless Mango Cake

Mango cake3

A few months back, I came across this cake on RedChillies' blog and promptly bookmarked it. It looked like one of those recipes that I just had to try out immediately and I did- the very next day, and with fantastic results. Since then I've made this cake many times.

I most recently baked a loaf of this bread/cake a few weeks back for my sister and brother-in-law when we visited them in
Montreal. It was a big hit and was enjoyed by all.

My recipe is adapted from RedChillies' recipe, which in turn is inspired by this recipe on Sify Food.

I replaced the butter in the original recipe with oil and used almonds instead of walnuts in this recipe although I have used walnuts at other times. I like to use brown sugar instead of the granulated sugar that the original recipe calls for.


Ingredients:
1 cup canned mango pulp (you can find this at most Indian grocery stores)
1 cup + 1 Tbsp
semolina/rava/sooji
½ cup + 2 Tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp powdered cardamom

1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup oil

A pinch of salt
¼ cup slivered almonds (reserve a few for sprinkling on top of the batter)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a bread pan with foil and grease with oil/butter.


Mix together the mango pulp, semolina, sugar, cardamom powder, oil, salt, almonds, and baking powder. Let the batter stand for 10 minutes and then pour it into the greased pan. Sprinkle some almonds on top of the batter and bake at 375 degrees F for 25- 27minutes (check after 25 minutes).


Cool, slice and serve.

39 Burps:

Songs Download said...

It's Looks Like Yummy..... I love to Eat Cake..I also Have Good Cakes Recipes Find out These Recipes....

amna said...

mango and cake in one dish! yum :D

Nupur said...

A cake with only sooji and mango pulp as the base?? Very intriguing! I love the color :)

Rajitha said...

I am making this tomorrow...for once i have everything at home....will let you know how it turns out...

Sakshi said...

Is it really so easy as you make it sound? eggless ha now that's tempting me to try this out.

Raks said...

Mango and brown sugar makes a divine combo! Wish I cud bake like you just like that!!

Vani said...

Looks moist and delicious, TBC!

Soma said...

When i saw this in the reader, i was thinking i saw this somewhere & bookmarked it! Looks awesome. I was thinking fresh mangoes, but the little we get i do not want to use it in cooking. what a stunning color!

Lisa Turner said...

I can understand why you bookmarked this recipe! It looks so moist and sticky at the same time.

Ranjani said...

What a gorgeous hue..this cake's got me craving mangoes now!

Unknown said...

mango cake looks nice and moist yum.

RedChillies said...

Hey TBC, so glad that you tried it and liked it. It tastes awesome isn't it? Love this recipe from SIFY.

Call it strange coincidence but I made the same cake yesetrday, but using bananas instead. I will post it soon.

Siri said...

this is such a simple recipe TBC. I am surely gonna try!

Siri

karuna said...

wowowo for an eggless cake tht looks so fluffy.
love the nice bright yellow colour.

shyam said...

ohoho... here's a gorgeous recipe to try! What a fantastic photo!

Mandira said...

looks fantastic.. love the color too!

Vaishali said...

Looks delicious. I use whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour in my mango bread and muffins, and the use of rava sounds unusual but delicious. I can imagine the absence of gluten would give it a more tender texture...?

Srivalli said...

That looking so delicious tbc!

A_and_N said...

The colours are brilliant! Beautiful.

Parita said...

Love the color, looks refreshing! Bookmarked!

TBC said...

Thanks everybody!
Will respond to the comments later in the day. :)

TBC said...



Nags- yum indeed! :D

Nupur- I too was skeptical before I tried it, but turns out that they work really well together.:)


Rajitha- how was it? did it work for you?


Sakshi- yes, it is! Go for it then! :D

Rak's kitchen- there's nothing to it- really! It is not as difficult as you think it is. :)Pick something pretty basic and simple to start with.


Vani- Red Chillies' recipe works pretty well.:)


Soma- I have actually tried using fresh mangoes too. The end product does not have the mango flavor that you get when you use the canned pulp. The mangoes I get here are pathetic to say the least, and don't smell or taste like mangoes. So, unless you get mangoes that are really good (like the ones we get back home in India), I'd recommend that you stick with the canned pulp.

Lisa- this one's a keeper for sure! :D


Ranjani- what are you waiting for? Go get some before the season's over.:)


Rekha's kitchen- thank you.:)


RC- it IS a fabulous cake!:)
My normally fussy sister gave it a pretty good rating.:D
Bananas instead of mangoes? Hmmm...I'll stick witht the mangoes. I find that bananas, even in very small amounts, have a very overpowering flavor in baked goods. Have to see what you did with the bananas though.:)


Siri- please do! Tell me how you liked it,ok? :D



TBC said...



Karuna- thank you.:D


Shyam- thank you. :D I visited you blog recently and when I got back to mine, I saw your comment here.;)


Mandira- thank you. :)


Vaishali- Yes, the rava helps make the cake soft and moist. As for the taste of the cake- it almost tastes like a sheera made using mangoes. :)


Srivalli- thank you.:)



A & N- how are you doing? how's the diet going? :D
I'm glad you like the cake.:)


Parita- thank you.:) Hope you like it as much as we did.




Siri said...

Hey TBC, I was just browsing through RC's Eggless Mango Cake on web and found the following link:

http://weight-loss-journal.com/eggless-mango-cake

I am not sure if you have contributed ur post to this website or they copied w/o lettting you know. Just wanted to bring to your notice!

Best,
Siri

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Love the crumb. Its made with semolina and that's new to me. Anything mango is always good as far as I'm concerned.

Divya Kudua said...

Mangoes are gone so maybe I can try it out with Pineapple instead..??Looks delicious..I've bookmarked it from Rc's too..:)

kitchen queen said...

Your eggless mango cake looks yummy in the picture and mouth watering.Hearing about this for the first time. you can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments

TBC said...

Kitchen Queen- thanks. :)
Will definitely stop by your place soon.

Namratha said...

Sounds and looks very good T, will be trying soon!:)

Anonymous said...

Now if only we could high lite and/or print out the recipe and use it, ourselves. I am not finding a link or anything, that would allow me to print it out. But it does look good! One more thing, what is semolina/rava/sooji?

TBC said...

Anon- why the anonymous comment?
I'm glad you like what you see here.
Yeah, I do not have a "print recipe" button for my recipes. How about bookmarking the recipe though?

Also, there is a link to what rava/semolina/sooji is in the ingredient list. Maybe you need to go over the list once more?

evolvingtastes said...

Hi TBC,

After having bookmarked the recipe ages ago, I made it recently and blogged about it here:
http://evolvingtastes.blogspot.com/2010/07/easy-mango-cake.html

It is just so lovely. Thanks a bunch for sharing!

TBC said...

Evolvingtastes- I'm glad you liked the recipe. Thanks for the feedback.:)

Manju said...

Love the color of the cake...can almost smell the aroma! Am going to try it today. Had a quick question - I noticed that the quantity of butter/oil is half of the original recipe. Is that intentional or a typo? If intentional, do you think it made the cake dry? Thanks a bunch!

TBC said...

Manju, I did cut down on the fat in the original recipe- I used only 1/4 cup and my cake turned out fine. It was also the simplest cake I'd ever made. Try it and let me know how it turns out for you.



Manju said...

I tried this cake a few days ago - the taste is amazing! Had a few problems (my own fault)- I doubled the recipe but it appears that I didn't use a big enough container. The cake was soft and uncooked in the middle. So, this is what I did: I cut slices from whatever was cooked and firm and kept aside. I then scooped out the soft/uncooked part,put it in a dish and steamed for 20 min and then cut slices from that. Perfect! I'm definitely going to try this again but the right way this time. Thanks for a great recipe!

TBC said...


Manju- Thanks for the feedback. Too bad that it did not turn out as expected for you. I'm not sure why though. Better luck next time!



BaKaSoor said...

Tried this yesterday. Absolutely loved it. :) Thanks so much!

TBC said...

BaKaSoor- Thank you for letting me know. Glad you liked it!

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.