Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Cauliflower au Gratin

Here's a quick & easy recipe that I came up with as a result of a Google search. It seemed perfect since it did not require too many ingredients and I did not have much in my refrigerator anyway!


Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower, broken in florets (You could use frozen cauliflower too)
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheese ( I used Mozzarella)
Salt & pepper to taste.

Method:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Blanch the cauliflower florets in a pot of salted boiling water until just tender (this takes about 3-4 minutes). I salt the water just so that the flavor of the cauliflower is enhanced slightly.

Meanwhile, prepare some
white sauce by melting the butter, blending in the flour & adding the milk gradually while stirring constantly till the mixture thickens. ( takes about 3 minutes or so)Add salt & pepper.

Drain the cauliflower & place in a baking dish. Sprinkle a little bit of the shredded cheese uniformly over the florets.

Pour the white sauce over this.

Finally, sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese over the sauce and bake at 375 degree F for 20 minutes until the cheese melts & you get a nice golden brown topping.


Other veggies that you could include in this recipe are corn & broccoli. They taste so good together.Unfortunately, I was out of both.This took me a little under 30 min to prepare from start to finish & I did not have to worry about cleaning up either since it is cooked & served in the same dish!

This picture does not do justice to the dish. Believe me, it tastes better than it looks!! :-)

This goes to Shaheen for her Express Cooking Event.

25 Burps:

Laavanya said...

It looks very good TBC so if it tastes better then it's a keeper for sure!

Jyothi said...

Hi tbc, beautiful pic. very simple ingredients and quick and easy recipe. Looks excellent and perfect. Great entry dear. Thanks for sharing.

Sia said...

hi TBC,
thanks for leaving comment in my blog and leading me to urs. just loved ur easy peasy Cauliflower au Gratin. its making me hungy now:)
by the way, what is tbc?

FH said...

I love Gratin too,so easy and perfectly tasty recipe.Thanks TBC!:)
Great entry.

zobars said...

Hi, I came across your blog while I was reading your comment on Saffron Hut's blog and I am so happy to have found yours too. Its superb. That cauliflower au gratin looks superdelicious. Feel like taking a bite. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will try it soon.

Poonam said...

Hey, gratin are always satisfying..even more if they are under 30 minutes...i am stealing your recipe! hehe

Sharmi said...

that is a nice creamy recipe. its out of the jar recipe with cauliflower.

sra said...

That's such an appetising photo, and yes, it's a quick dish!

SeeC said...

Good photography. New cauliflower dish. I generally stay away from cheese, but this is really tempting.

Kajal said...

Simple but delicious dish....looks really very yummy. Thanks for sharing.:)

TBC said...

Laavanya, thank you for saying that. It makes me feel better.Actually, I kept in the oven for around 25 min initially but the top browned really quickly! So I changed it in the recipe to 20 min. That's all the baking time it actually needs coz the cauliflower has been half cooked already!

Jyothi, welcome to my blog & thank you!

Sia,
Thanks for stopping by. It IS super easy to make. Do try it when you get a chance.
TBC = The Budding Cook !;-)

Asha, thank you very much:-)

Zobars, Welcome to my blog & thank you for your kind words.
Do try it out and let me know. :-)


Poonam, steal away girl!!;-)

Sharmi,thanks for coming back.:-)

Sra, welcome to my blog!It is nice to have you here.
Thank you for the compliment.

Seec, Thanks!
Is it because you don't like milk products or....?


Dear Kajal,
Thank you.It actually tastes real good:-)

Suma Gandlur said...

That looks so delicious and pretty too.

Manasi said...

Must try!!! I have frozen cauliflower florets, need to get some cheese... !!!

Rachna said...

oh wow, u have such yummy recipes here TBC... cauliflower au gratin and brocolli soup is looking so yummy....am so hungry now... lemme browse through all of the others to my hearts content!

Arundathi said...

TBC - thanks for stopping by my blog! I love yours - the photographs are fabulous too!
Gonna have to try this Gratin - sounds delicious...and I, for one, LOVE cheese!!

TBC said...

Suma, thanks for stopping by!

Manasi,what are you waiting for, girl? Let me know how it turns out.
... and oh yes, welcome to my blog :-)

Rachna,thank you for visiting!

Arundathi,it's nice to see u here.
Do give it a shot & let me know if it turns out good, if not...;-)

Coffee said...

This is my kinda food! Lovely pic! :)

TBC said...

Thanks, Coffee:-)

Anonymous said...

I must give this a try! My mouth seriously watered upon seeing your photo.

TBC said...

Kristen,thanks!

Anonymous said...

Your pic is mouth watering. Augratin is one of my all time favourites. :)

TBC said...

Hi Lakshmi,
Thanks for visiting.I too like this recipe as it does not have too many ingredients & is pretty easy to make.

Unknown said...

Wow!! I was looking for a no-frills au gratin recipe to satisfy my craving for cheese. I dun like to spend the whole afternoon in the kitchen just to make one dish. I'm glad to find this recipe at your blog. I have every ingredient except butter and milk. Bye... I'm off to buy those 2 items...tks for sharing...

TBC said...

Emerlyn, welcome to my blog & thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment :-). That's really nice of you!
You know, I dd not add a whole lot of cheese. But since, you seem to be a cheese-lover, you could add more & it would taste even better. Do let me know how it turns out for you & whether you liked it.
I just clicked on your name hoping it would lead me to your space, but your profile is private and can't be accessed right now:-(

Anonymous said...

Great recipe so quick n easy n sooo tasty thanks

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.