Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Ravioli and a Smoothie

Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter

This was something I had seen recently on
Giada's Everyday Italian on the Food Network. I just love her recipes for their simplicity. A number of her recipes are really quick to make, healthy and very satisfying. I have been waiting to try this particular recipe since I saw that episode and I went to the store just to buy some ravioli yesterday.

Ingredients:
A pack of frozen Ravioli (I used 13 ounces of cheese ravioli.)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped & toasted
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper to taste.
Mint leaves for garnishing

Method:
Take water in a large vessel, salt it and bring it to a rolling boil.

Add the frozen ravioli to the water and cook till al dente. (Mine took about 10-12 minutes)

Meanwhile, in a small pan, melt the butter over medium heat, stirring & continue heating till the butter turns a nice golden brown color.

Set this aside. Cool for a minute or two and add the balsamic vinegar, honey, some salt & pepper. Mix well.

Toast some chopped walnuts in the oven. Toasting enhances the flavor of the nuts & gives a nice crunch to the dish.

When the ravioli are done, drain off the water and transfer onto a serving dish. Add the balsamic brown butter to this and mix well. Sprinkle the toasted walnuts and grated Parmesan cheese on the top.

Garnish with some mint.

I could not believe that something so simple could taste so good! I loved how the balsamic brown butter tasted. I was getting a little tired of seeing/eating pastas with the same old tomato based sauces. This was a nice change & I am going to make it often.

Cantaloupe Smoothie
To complete our meal, I also made a smoothie from some fruits that were begging to be consumed. (yeah, I know! ravioli & smoothie???)


Ingredients:
4 cups of peeled & diced cantaloupe
5-7 strawberries, washed & hulled (these need not be added. I had to get rid of some old strawberries)
1 cup yogurt (vanilla yogurt would have been great, I did not have any!)
3-4 drops of vanilla essence
2-3 tsp honey (depending on sweetness)

Method:
Place all the ingredients in a blender & blend till smooth.

Garnish with some fresh mint & serve chilled
.


29 Burps:

FH said...

Ravioli looks excellent.I loke spinach and cheese filled too.Cheese makes everything tastes delicious!:)
Cantaloupe smoothie is yum.I like the photo,very bright sunny spot.

Anonymous said...

Ravioli looks nice, i havent tried it though, the smoothie pics are beautiful.....isnt it more like out indian lassi

Sharmi said...

the smoothie looks mind blowing. when I cut cantaloupe I don't even have the patience to plate it how do I wait to make smoothies:)

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there, I like your blog! Nice recipe it looks lovely. Feel free to visit my blog too :)


Click here for jeenas food recipe blog :-)

Richa said...

cheese ravioli + walnuts = YUM :)

bee said...

i guess ghee can be used in lieu of brown butter. i've tasted something similar as a topping on strawberries. loved it.

archana said...

The dish looks fabulous. I have never made ravioli before. You should have timed it.I am sure it would have been fit to be an entry for the express cooking event:)

Raaga said...

Yummy. I used to make ravioli by hand from scratch. Even now, the readymade ones we get here are sooooooooooooooooooooo expensive that I will probably make them at home again.

Looks great - actually both the dishes look fab.

Anonymous said...

i love dishes that use minimum ingredients, are simple and yet so delicious. i shd be trying that ravioli soon.

SeeC said...

You always present something different TBC.

Cantaloupe smoothie is very inviting. I have seen this fruit in stores, but never tried to use it. Time has come now.

Thanks for the lovely post.

Savithri said...

Nice recipes and pics:) I love watching food network but never really try the recipes- great to know this one tastes good!

Poonam said...

wow! that looks amazing!...simple and quick meal..

Suma Gandlur said...

I too love Giada's show, some how I don't like her travel series.
That ravioli and smoothies are tempting.

amna said...

u have such an awesome blog that i cudnt help but blogroll you ;)

thanks for stopping by :)

sunita said...

I love ravioli...your's look delicious.

Saju said...

The ravioli looks so delish. I love pasta dishes and I love balsamic vinegar, not to mention the walnuts. This my kind of dish.

TBC said...

Asha, thanks:-)Yeah, cheese does do that, it's a pity that it's loaded with calories:-(


Bhags,thanks!I guess u could also call it cantaloupe lassi!;-)


Sharmi, it is nice of u to say that:-). Actually smoothies are easier coz the blender does all the work for ya!;-)


Thanks, Jeena. I will definitely stop by.


Yes, Richa, this was really good & I will make it again.


Bee, now why didn't I think of that?!.I'm going to top some berries with it like you said the next time.


Archana, thank you:-)You are right , I guess I could still do it. It took only 20 min or so. Anyway, I have already sent one entry for now.


Raaga,
Thanks:-)
Ravioli from scratch?? Wow!I wouldn't even know how to go about doing it. Do u need some kind of special equipment/gadget for it?

Hi Lakshmi,
Welcome to my blog!Do let me know how it turns out if u do try it:-)

Hi Seec,
Thanks ! It is only now that I have started experimenting a bit.
I have always been cooking the same old sambar, rasam, curd -rice type of food only. But u know what? that is what I love the most.. that's comfort food to me:-)


Savithri,
Thanks for the compliment
I usually never try out anything I see on FN but this one really looked good & simple.


Poonam, thanks! & it tastes great too;-)


Suma,
I love her travel show too. It's such a pity though that it features mostly non-veg :-(



Awwwww Nags, u say the nicest things!


Sunita, thank you:-)


Saju, thanks . I just recently started using balsamic vinegar & now it's my best friend! :-)

Cris said...

Hi! I'm glad your blog hopping landed on my blog so I could find you too! What great recipes you have! My husband will love this cantaloupe smoothie, he's the king of smoothies around here.

TBC said...

Chris, thanks for stopping by!

Padma said...

Cantaloupe smoothie looks divine and so is the ravioli...Even I am Giada's big fan...

TBC said...

Padma, thank you!

test it comm said...

The cantaloupe smoothie sounds great.

TBC said...

Kevin, thanks for stopping by.

Tee said...

I have been dying to try this one out since the time i saw it on Giada's show. But my hubby is not a big fan of balsamic vinegar :( have to try it when I am alone...
Cantaloupe smoothie completes the meal! Love it!!:)

TBC said...

Tee, do give it a shot when you can. It tastes really good & can be made in minutes:-)

remya said...

smoothie looks divine...i usually makes cantaloupa shake, this one sounds great..u hav a nice blog with wonderful recipes...surely lov to try ur smoothie smetime....

TBC said...

Remya, thanks for stopping by & thank you for the lovely compliment:-)
Do let me know how the smoothie turns out for you when you make it.

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe too! We make this at home at least a few times a month. Love your site!

TBC said...

Hey Anon- Wish you'd left your name especially since this is a compliment.:D
Hope you stop by again!

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.