Monday, September 17, 2007

Vegetable Stew

Here's a recipe for a quick and easy stew...

Ingredients:
4 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped into big pieces
1 big onion, chopped into big pieces
½ cup peas (I used frozen)
1 can Coconut milk (I use the Goya brand)
7 -8 slit green chillies
A sprig of curry leaves (Do not skimp on these; they add a lot to the flavor of the stew) Salt to taste


Method:
Pressure cook the potatoes and onions along with the chillies & curry leaves using as little water as possible, till the vegetables are soft (takes about 15 minutes or so.)

Add the coconut milk, stir, cook and let it come to a boil. Continue cooking on low to medium heat till the coconut milk thickens. Add water if required, to get desired consistency

Add the peas and cook for another minute.

Serve hot with appams or rice.

29 Burps:

Kribha said...

Nice picture and a simple recipe. I've done only potato stew. will try it with a combo of vegees soon.

Tee said...

mmmm...looks absolutely comforting and delicious!

Laavanya said...

I love Vegetale Stew and aapam.. i add other vegs too like carrots and beans besides potato and peas.

Suganya said...

Appam and stew never go out of style, do they?

FH said...

White gravy with white appams. Sounds good!:))

Jyothi said...

Wow! what a simple vegetable stew. Never tried. Its tempting. Will try soon. Thanks for sharing tbc.

Namratha said...

Apam with stew is one of my favourite combinations...thanks for the lovely recipe...stew looks gr8!

Savithri said...

Your stew looks delicious....perfect to warm you up in this fall weather!

Rajitha said...

tbc..yummy..just yummy!

musical said...

Gorgeous looking stew! Can i have some, please (and an appam or two) :-D.

Sharmi said...

lovely looking stew! but is goya brand good? I got coconut milk, dont remember which brand but the smell of the milk overpowered. does it give good taste.

Roopa said...

The stew looks delicious and comforting. thanks for the link of appams it looks very authentic :)

Bharathy said...

Lovely looking stew,Tbc..Love the combo of spring onion and tomato..
So you made tose lovely looking fritters for JFI..Eh...E-envy..as I am still hunting for the fruit!!:)..
You are reallly improving with the presentation!!..keep it up!

Susan said...

A big, easy bowl of thick, creamy potato, just the thing for moving into the cooler seasons, although I eat soups and stews any time of year. A very pretty, simply wrought photo, my favorite kind.

Finla said...

Nice stew, i like to eat them with appom.
When i make stew i add a cinamon stick,pepercorns,cloves etc. Which gives a nice aroma also.

Cynthia said...

I am sure the coconut makes that sweet and rich.

Cris said...

That's so interesting, I have never seen curry leaves, not sure if I can get it here, and I am sure it adds so much to this dish. As for the coconut milk, oh I can almost feel the flavor, we have many dishes here that take it. Dp you think I could use chickpeas instead of peas? Thanks!

TBC said...

Kribha, I think just potatoes and onions along with the curry leaves make it yummy enough:-)

Tee, thanks:-)


Laavanya, I do too.:-)
I add those veggies too but this was all I had on hand that day.


Suganya, very true.


Asha, thank you:-)



Jyothi, let me know how you like it & you are very welcome:-)


Savithri, thanks:-)



Rajitha, thanks..just thanks:-)



Musical, thank you. You most certainly can. If you are ever in my neck of the woods & come over, this is what you are gonna get;-)



Sharmi, thank you.
I love Goya brand and only use this.I have tried a couple of other brands before but have never found one I liked till I started using Goya.It tastes really good, very rich & creamy, but you have to ccook on medium heat for a little while till it thickens. I have also tried using coconut powder & adding water to it but I don't usually do that unless there is no Goya. As for the smell, I actually like it as it cooks.
Do try it out.


Roopa, thank you.
I am glad you clicked on the link.I liked the way they have described making a few preparations and wanted to share it.


Bharathy, thanks :-)
Hope you have found something for JFI. Did u not post some plantain chips earlier on?
About the presentation, are you telling me that there was a problem with my presentation earlier on?... just kidding;-)


Susan, thanks for the compliment:-)
I too don't let seasons dictate what I should/should not eat:-).
Do try this out. You could cut down on the number of chillies used.


Happy Cook, I too like to eat it with appam. Now I just need to learn how to make appams:-)
I know a lot of people add the things you add. But I like to use just chillies & lots of curry leaves for the flavor.


Cynthia, yes it does. You just have to make sure that you cook it for a long time till it gets thick & creamy.


Cris, see you on your blog ;-)

TBC said...

Namratha, sorry I missed you. I scrolled down way too quickly:-(
Appam + stew is one of my favorites too. Thank you for the compliments:-)

bha said...

I love stew, this one looks just fine for my taste....warm and steamy

Kajal said...

Nice and new idea I don’t use coconut milk in curry but I think this is delicious taste. Thanks for sharing.:)

TBC said...

Bhags, thanks:-)


Kajal, try using coconut milk, you will like it.

SeeC said...

Is that all? You made is very simple.

Love this stew. Thanks for the post.

TBC said...

Seec, yes...minimum number of ingredients but great taste!

Viji said...

It looks simple TBC but delicious. Viji

TBC said...

Viji, I just love this stew and the best thing is that u can add whatever you have on hand. And potatoes and onions, I always have:-)

Deepa Kuber said...

few days ago i was searching for this recipe, but i didnt find anythg interesting.. now i found this in ur blog, i book marked it.. thanks!

Anonymous said...

thank u for a simple and yummy recipe.Let me try it today:)

TBC said...

Manju- hope you like it! :D

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.