Sunday, October 21, 2007

Coconut Burfi

I hadn’t had a piece of coconut burfi in ages. If I remember correctly, the last time I had this burfi, or any burfi for that matter, was when I was in India. It’s been so long!
We normally do not buy sweets or other similar preparations from the Indian stores here because we are never happy with the quality and/or the taste and appearance. I am also not the kind of person who cares enough to put in all the effort required to make such things at home.
However, the other day when I was craving something sweet after dinner, I just had to give in and make this.

Ingredients:
¾ cup grated coconut (I used the frozen kind and thawed it in the microwave before use)
½ cup milk (I used 2% milk)
½ cup sugar
Cardamom powder
A pinch of salt
Ghee for greasing the pan
Almonds for garnishing

Method:
Line the inside of a pan with some aluminium foil and grease well.

Take a heavy bottomed vessel and add the milk, sugar and coconut. Cook on medium heat and stir the mixture well. Add a pinch of salt so as to bring out the flavor of the ingredients.

Continue stirring till the sugar melts and all the milk is absorbed by the mixture. This took me about 35 minutes or so. Add the powdered cardamom and mix well. Continue mixing for another 5- 10 minutes till the mixture thickens and comes together in a fudge-like consistency. Turn off the heat.

Transfer the mixture to the previously greased pan, spread uniformly and allow it to cool. I had to refrigerate my burfis for a couple of hours to get a reasonably decent consistency. It probably had to do with the fact that I only use low-fat milk. Using whole milk would probably produce burfis which are firm and have a slightly better texture. Maybe some more sugar too would have helped, but it was sweet enough already. That being said, it was simply delicious and I ate a few bits and pieces even before refrigeration!!

After refrigerating for a few hours, cut into squares, garnish with almonds and serve.
This recipe yields about 10 pieces.

I am sending this to Viji as my contribution for
RCI-Tamil Festivals for celebrating Diwali.

52 Burps:

Anonymous said...

Yum...so glad I happened across your blog! I can't wait to explore more of your recipes and lovely pictures. Thanks for blogging.

Viji said...

They look so cute in that plate TBC. Thank you for the wonderful entry. Viji

musical said...

TBC:

Thats a fantastic recipe! I like the way you explain the importance of simple things like that pinch of salt! Thats what i really love about your recipes.

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

love the burfi, tbc!!!

Bharathy said...

I have to try this for sure,seems easy too :)

The colour is so white which has made the sweet look so divine and beautiful,Tbc!!Love the burfis!!
Nice shots too!!

Rajitha said...

yummy! love the color and the garnish...

Finla said...

Wow they are delicious looking barfi squares. I do agree with you they are not same in the shops like the one we get in India

Laavanya said...

Wowie.. this looks so good! Am sure the milk lent a rich creaminess to it. Lovely.

Sreelu said...

TBC, such beautiful coconut burfi

Namratha said...

Wow TBC, burfis look gogeous, perfectly cut and yummy I'm sure. I love coconut burfi :)

Anonymous said...

hey, lovely ones. Its come out so white too... hmm, lot of sweet posts today in the blog.

Cynthia said...

Your burfi looks delicate and delicious and the lighting in the picture makes it even more inviting.

Anonymous said...

I'm running into all kinds of coconut recipes tonight as I surf my favorite blogs! Very interesting recipe!

Shivapriya said...

Nice coconut Burfi's. Try using condense milk along with 2% or even Khoya. It will give the right consistency. Beautiful picture.

Happy Dusshera.

Swaruchy said...

A perfect coconut burfi and a perfect preparation tbc....U have been tagged dear.....check out my site for details :-)

Seena said...

beatiful little burfis, TBC, would love to try it..

Padma said...

Coconut Burfi's looks so delectably tender and creamy... reminds me of Milkmaid ad

zlamushka said...

Beautiful pic. My sister loves these.

Sharmi said...

very beautiful presentation! looks so fantastic!

Rohini's kitchen said...

Coconut burfi looks awesome!!mouthwatering!!

Mansi said...

whats up?? everyone's sending coconut burfis to RCI-Tamil..looks like everyone loves this dish, just like me!!! nice one TBC:)

DEEPA said...

awesome tbc ..excellenet pic....happy diwali in advance ....

remya said...

hiii,burfi is lovely and invitating....i had burfi.. donnooo can't rember ,err...may be years ago....really missing india..mainly coz of sweets n mom's dishes.i too agree wid u,on my hubby's b'day,bought sme sweets from an indian stores,it was very horrible...no taste,no flavour nothing...then i made kesari for him...will try ur burfi next occasion..

Anonymous said...

I am imaging the refrigeration after a few hours and this chilled coconut dessert. Yums!

Kumudha said...

Even I don't buy sweets from Indian stores.
The picture of coconut looks beautiful!

Bhawna said...

Seems perfect burfi, ummm.....very tempting.

Latha Narasimhan said...

The burfi is lookig yummy!:)) It is a good idea to refrigerate and reduce sugar!:))

East Meets West Kitchen said...

This looks and sounds delicious! Will have to try this soon! :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

They are similar to a delicious Brazilian type of candy, that I will post this week (hopefully).
Mouthwatering and beautiful - I love coconut!

S said...

that looks yummy....i like theplatter

Retno Prihadana said...

I haven´t had this one. Looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

Hi TBC, I'm a gr8 fan of coconut barfi, and its been a long time since i too had some of it, i now will make it at the weekend for my family.. Thanks for the recipe..

www.monaafzal.wordpress.com

Kajal said...

Looks yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use mava instead of milk but I think next time I use milk for this recipe.

Nice entry for this festival.

Menu Today said...

Hi TBC,
Beautiful pic. Great entry for this RCI Event. Looks fabulous!!! Thanks for sharing.

Raks said...

Hey that looks like it will just melt in mouth...!!!
Picture looks great-0-great...!!

Kribha said...

I too don't like the store bought sweets here in US. Yours look so good. I agree with Rak's. Sure looks like a melting one in mouth.

Mandira said...

can you pass the plate to me :) they look so soft and delicious...

TBC said...

Karen- Welcome! and thank you for your kind words:-)

Viji-thank you.

Musical-awww, you say just the right things;-)


Sona-thanks:-)


Bharathy-thank you. It was perfect except for the consistency:-(



Rajitha-thank you :-)



HC- yeah,if you want to eat good sweets,either get it from India or make your own.


Laavanya-it was good but I wish the texture was the same as yours.


Sreelu, Namratha and Grihini- thank you girls!:-)


Cynthia- thank you. I do not get any natural light in my kitchen, so I have to cook /make things and take it outside and take pics, all the while hoping that people passing by won't think I'm nuts!:-(


Kristen- thanks:-)



Shivapriya- You know, I even had condensed milk! I don't know why I didn't think of that:-(.
Oh well, there's always a next time:-) Thanks for the tip.


Sirisha-thanks :-)
I am sure I will get to it eventually!;-)


Seena- thanks



Padma-it was good but I wish it had a better texture. It was all soft and crumbly:-(


Zlamushka-thanks. How about you?;-)


Sharmi, thanks. Hope your little one is alright now.



Rohini-thanks:-)



Mansi- I know! I think it's because it's one of the simpler sweets one can make:-)... and it tastes so good too!


Deepa-thnak you. Happy Diwali to you too:-)


Remya-I miss India too ...and my mom's food:-(
I checked out your keasri... looks great.


Tigerfish- thanks for stopping by.



Kumudha-We bought Jelabis once and I had to spit it out. They had an off-taste.


Bhawna-thanks.


Latha- good to see you here after a long time:-)
Thanks for the compliment.


EMWK-Do give it a shot. you might want to use sweetened condensed milk (instead of milk +sugar) for a better texture.



Patricia- oh ! is that so. Will wait for your post to learn more:-)
Thanks for stopping by.


Shanti-thank you:-) I like it too:-)


Retno- welcome & thanks for visiting.:-)


Mona- do try it. Maybe u should use condensed milk as Shivapriya said for a better consistency. Do let me know how yours turns out.


Kajal-where have you been? Missed you!:-)


MT-thank you. You are very welcome:-)



Rak's kitchen-thank you :-)



Kribha-thank you:-)



Mandira- you will ahve to come here and get it. That way we can meet. I wish we had got in touch when we were in Buffalo:-(

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Great pictures, I would like to taste both.

TBC said...

Thanks, Helene:-)

TBC said...

Thanks, Helene:-)

sagari said...

looks beautifull

Dori said...

These look great...and that dish they are in is so pretty, It's such a nice picture!

TBC said...

Sagari- welcome . Thanks for the compliment:-)


Meeso- It's nice to have you here...and thank you!

Anonymous said...

thats one tempting burfi i ever saw.
so juicy and cool
great recipe

TBC said...

Raji-thanks.

Divya and Chaya said...

mascarpone is our fav! great recipe- pics look delectable.

TBC said...

D & C- thanks :-)

SeeC said...

Adding salt is a good idea.
You are right...it might be becoz of 2% milk.

Burfi with that plate looks very attractive. Have never seen such thin slices. Nicely done.

Seena said...

Hi TBC,
No blogging?
how are u?
am doing well.Since two days feeling better. Hope to see u soon.
Seena.

Susan said...

Your recipe reads far easier than the one I followed. It's lovely and will be the one I try when I make burfi again...and I will! Thanks, TBC.

TBC said...

Susan,
It is easier but I was not too happy with the texture. Maybe sweetened condensed milk and small amounts of sugar would be better than what I have used?

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.