Sunday, November 25, 2007

Aloo Rasedaar

This is a recipe that I have adapted from these two sources. I did a little tinkering with the original versions and came up with this to cater to two events. ;-)

Ingredients:
3 medium potatoes, cubed and cooked in the microwave
½ large onion, finely chopped
1 big tomato, finely chopped
5-6 green chillies, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 ½ tsp
panch phoron
1 tsp ginger paste
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp coriander powder
A pinch of turmeric powder
1Tbsp oil
Salt to taste

Method:
Heat oil in a pan and add the panch phoron. When it splutters add the ginger paste along with the garlic and green chillies.


Add the chopped onions immediately and sauté well until they are soft. Add chilli, turmeric and coriander powders.

Toss in the chopped tomatoes and cook covered for 5 minutes. Then add the cooked potatoes (I mashed some of the cubes) and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add some water to get a gravy-like consistency.

Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes to allow all the flavors to blend.

Serve hot with rice or chapatis. I had mine with some steaming hot rice, pappad pickle and yogurt. It was so simple to prepare but oh-so- good! I wonder why I have never prepared anything like this before.

Notes:

I know I probably should have used mustard oil instead of the regular vegetable oil but I had a feeling that it would not be agreeable to our South Indian palate.

The panch phoran lends an incredibly unique fragrance and flavor to the dish. It was so good that we did not have any left over for the next day.

This is my entry for RCI: Cuisine of
Bihar being hosted by Sangeeta of Ghar Ka Khana. This recipe is also going to SRA for her event, Grindless Gravies.

Many thanks to all those food bloggers who take time out of their busy schedules to host and put together these fun-filled events, and in the process help bring new tastes and flavors into my kitchen.

32 Burps:

Rajitha said...

it looks delicious...would love to gobble this up with hot phulkas :)

musical said...

Aloo in any form is yummy :). Very delish looking curry, TBC!

Shivapriya said...

Looks so nice. I should try this sometime.

Laavanya said...

Hiya.. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. I didn't think I could stay away from food blogs for this long but had no time the past few days. Your Aloo Masaledar looks lovely. I've been wanting to cook with panch phoran ... What a lovely combination with pickle, papad and yogurt - mouthwatering.

Roopa said...

tBC the gravy looks mouth watering one of my kids favorites :)

Seema said...

Looks yum TBC!! Paanch pooran - its a 5 spice bengali mixture right? Its got an interesting flavour. Attacked one dish for 2 events.. great! :-)

sra said...

Hi TBC, thanks for this entry. I will make this soon. We get something that looks a bit like this in our cafeteria but without the panch phoron.

EC said...

wow...another yummy recipe with aloo..

KayKat said...

This is an awesome gravy recipe! Sounds really similar to the potato masala we often have with dosas.

Bindiya said...

This looks good, even I posted a curried potato recipe recently, yours must be excellent with pooris

Divya and Chaya said...

Nice one!! Aloo is an all time favorite of u'rs!

amna said...

such a lovely recipe for both events :)

Menu Today said...

Hi TBC,
This curry goes well with Poori too.
Colourful Curry, thanks for sharing.
Have a nice day:-)

Patricia Scarpin said...

I don't know this dish, but looking at the ingredient list I know I would love it!

Finla said...

It looks delicious

FH said...

Thank you for participating and bringing all of us delicious food too!:))
Aloo Rasedaar looks yum!

Latha Narasimhan said...

This was one of the first northindian dishes I learnt soon after marriage! your rassedar looks lovely! :) Nice entry for the event and thanks for taking care of southindians1 :)

Richa said...

that bowl of subzi looks so good, d-lish!!
ready for alu anytime :)

Seena said...

Haven't heard of this..looks like very yummy dish.Liked the pasta salad too..

Namratha said...

Sure does look Rasedaar to me! yummy!!

Manasi said...

Looks very nice!! I love panch phoron tadka!! its unique flavor is such a change, isn't it!!?

remya said...

thats a new dish to me...thanks for this events..which helps me to knw diff cuisines....gud idea...two birds in one shot...

Mandira said...

this looks delicious TBC, easy and quick :)

AnuSriram said...

Its lovely... picture is too good and also the dish....

Swati said...

Great aaloo!! My family likes it with hot puri's n boondi raita! :)

Kribha said...

Looks so delicious. Panch Poran is new to me. Never tried it before. Nice entry for both the events.

TheCooker said...

Looks delicious!
Perfect for these cold days.

Swaroopa said...

looks gr8!! nice version...will try it.

TBC said...

Thanks for your comments. I am a little short on time these days and am unable to respond to each one of you separately. I will see you soon on your blogs:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey TBC, This is very similar to my 'Masaledaar Aloo ki Sabji' entry to Grindless Gravies event. I use nigella seeds in mine which is a part of the panch phoron. I guess the difference between Uttar Pradesh and Bihari cuisine is that in Uttar pradesh authentic daily cuisine, use of garlic and onions is minimum. But glad to visit you blog.

kitkat said...

I made this a couple of days ago, and it is SO good. Thank you for posting this recipe. I am definitely going to be making this regularly.

TBC said...

Kitkat- I'm glad you liked it- thank you for letting me know. :)

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.