Friday, January 25, 2008

Egg Muffins


I made these egg muffins a couple of days back on a weekend when I was looking to make something that was a little different from our usual breakfast fare. I also wanted something that would be simple to prepare, quick and filling.

I came across this recipe on Lisa’s blog and decided to try making eggs her way. I made a few changes to the original recipe.

Ingredients:
5 large eggs
½ cup milk (I used 2%)
½ cup scallions, chopped (both green and white parts)
½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
3-4 green chillies, chopped finely
1 cup shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
A handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
Butter to grease the muffin tray
3 tsp cornmeal to coat the insides of the muffin tray

This recipe yields 8 medium sized egg muffins.





Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Grease a medium sized muffin tray with a little bit of butter.

Spoon a little cornmeal into each greased cup, just enough to cover the bottom.

In a large bowl beat the eggs well, add the milk and stir in the remaining ingredients. Mix well.

Pour the egg mixture into each muffin cup and fill each one almost to the top.

Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes (check after 20 minutes) or until the muffins begin to puff up and become slightly firm to the touch.


Serve hot and wash it down with this smoothie.

37 Burps:

Mythreyee said...

looks yummy and very colorful.

amna said...

those look lovely and puffy, tbc. bookmarked it to try soon :)

Finla said...

This is a realy clever idea for a fast breakfast. And it looks so special

Siri said...

Aha, these muffins are definitely a must try for Eggeterians like me..:))

The pic look gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

~ Siri

Rajitha said...

tbc- it looks so good..and i do not even eat eggs!!...

Laavanya said...

Ohh these look positively pretty!!Love the idea.

Seena said...

Wow, looks wonderful, imagining the taste and drooling.............

Mishmash ! said...

quite a clever approach :)

Sig said...

I am also always looking for new ways to make eggs... this looks perfect...

Namratha said...

Wowww, these muffins look gr8 T, love the colour! A very interesting way to make eggs, will try them soon :)

Dhivya said...

hey it looks yummy,,and thanks for dropping by

Seema said...

Very nice idea & its looks yum too! A different look to the same old egg right?

Raaga said...

that looks like a lovely souffle... I'll try it sometime... weekend breakfsts can't get better than these lovely muffins :-)

Sagari said...

looks beautifulllllll tbc nice recipe

TBC said...

Mythreyee- thanks:)


Nags, Namratha and Raaga- thanks ladies...hope u try it. It is a nice change from the usual omelette.:-)

HC, Siri, Rajitha, Laavanya, Seena, Mishmash, Sig, Dhivya, Seema and Sagari- thanks to each one of you for stopping by. :-)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a great way to start the day. I usually have toasts in the morning but should try this.

Nupur said...

They look ever so colorful, with the confetti-like veggies all over them! Got to try this soon :) nice portable breakfast.

Kalai said...

Gorgeous! Nice change from my usual scrambled eggs. Will bookmark this! :)

Chris said...

These are great! I love baked egg dishes. I will have to make this one!

Thanks for visiting/commenting on my blog! I am loving yours and can't wait to come back. :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

What a lovely variation to the plain ole omelet. Looks really good.

Lisa Turner said...

Glad these worked out for you. I like your modifications. The possibilities for these egg muffins are endless.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These look so good...almost like little quiche.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These look so good...almost like little quiche.

Anonymous said...

Those look great, I love how colorful they turned out!

Anonymous said...

I dont cook with eggs, yet I am getting so tempted tbc. They are just awesome.

Rachel said...

Egg muffins! Lovely! Nice colours..

Rajesh &Shankari said...

They look like savory doughnuts and u have the patience to chop and bake in the morning for breakfast..I am in awe

Vaishali said...

You have such a beautiful blog- the pictures are absolutely captivating. Thanks for visiting my blog- I am glad I found you!

TBC said...

Helene- Indeed it is!


Nupur- I like that...never thought of that... a portable BF.:-)
and thank you!


Kalai- thanks. I was getting tired of making the usual omelettes, french toasts etc. This is a nice change.:)



Chris- thanks for stopping by! :-)



Aparna- thank you.



Lisa- thank YOU!:-)



Valli- thanks:)



Nicole- thanks...I loved what you had done too! :-)



Hima- thank you:-). You could substitute the eggs with the latest craze around here- tofu:-)I'd seen a recipe for it somewhere and remember thinking it was a great idea.



Rachel- thanks:-)


Shankari- I did have good intentions but this was more like brunch.:-)
And it only needed 5-10 min of preparation, the oven did the rest.
I think I spent more time taking the pics than actually making it.


Vaishali- thanks for visiting. I am glad I found your space too through TOI.
You are being very kind now! :-)

Unknown said...

Hey thats a wonderful colorful muffin:)

Cynthia said...

They look so light, fluffy and pretty! Will definitely give it a try, I saw some on Kalyn's blog too.

Divya and Chaya said...

We love muffins(or quiche ). Lovely pictures!! We also add spinach and mushrooms.

Shella said...

Eggs as muffins .......mmmm I really love the idea. I am also tired of make the same omelettes for breakfast, would really like to try them, except that I am little hesitant to use 1 cup of cheese.....not that I wouldnt love it ;-)

Kribha said...

Eggs are certainly allowed in my diet and I'm looking for different ways to prepare it other than omellette and scrambled eggs. One question... Can I use egg substitute for eggs. Your muffins are so colorful and tempting. Nice job done.

TBC said...

RV- thank you. :)


Cynthia- I did too...I think that's how I eventually ended up finding Lisa's recipe.:-)



D & C- yes, that would be nice too. I am not a mushroom lover.:(



Shella- you could use low fat cheese like I did or you could cut down on the amount used. Besides, it is 1 cup for 8 muffins...



Kribha- Sorry for the late reply...
I really have no idea how that would turn out. I remember trying the substitute once(not in this dish) and not liking it. You could use soft tofu though...I had even seen a recipe somewhere that substituted the eggs with tofu.

Medhaa said...

I tried these today and they were so good, my hubby who usually does not like egg much loved these. I put in different veggies, what were in hand but it is such an easy breakfast idea, Thanks for sharing.

TBC said...

Medhaa- welcome to my blog!:)
I am so glad to hear that you tried something along these lines and liked it. Thank you so much for letting me know!

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.