Thursday, July 31, 2008

Apple Gojju

I came across this recipe on Vani's blog and decided to put the apples I had to good use. This is a simple, quick and tasty gojju that goes really well with rice.

Ingredients:
2 small apples, diced (I used
Granny Smith)
A small piece of tamarind, soaked in hot water and juice extracted
1 tiny piece of jaggery
1- ½ tsp sambar powder
1-2 tsp rice flour mixed in some cold water (to thicken the gojju a bit)
Salt to taste

For seasoning:
1 Tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
½ tsp red chilli flakes
3-4 curry leaves

Method:
Heat the oil and temper it with the ingredients listed above

Add the chopped apples along with sambar powder. Mix well. Cover and cook till the apples are all soft and mushy, 7-8 minutes.

Add the tamarind extract and the jaggery along with a cup of water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium and add the rice flour dissolved in water. Cook for another 2-3 minutes till the gojju thickens.

Serve hot with rice.

Thank you for sharing your mother’s recipe, Vani!

Here’s another gojju, one with
spring onions and tomatoes, from my archives. I love fruit-based curries/gravies like this apple gojju. This pineapple pulissery is another one of my favorites that my mother makes so well.

10 Burps:

Rachel said...

Apple was laways had ina dessert form or as it is..never with spices..something new to me..

Rajitha said...

what's going on!! r u ok?? a post yest and 3 today!! baba re baba...

Anonymous said...

Cool recipe!

Paz

Sangeeth said...

liked ur recipe...have never tried this b 4....

Sunshinemom said...

Apple gojju is again a new dish, and it looks thoroughly tangy and tempting!

Laavanya said...

I see you are on a roll trying to clear your drafts.. :)

Apple gojju looks great so is it very sweet or more tangy and spicy?

karuna said...

what does gojjumean? havent heard of it before. but it looks yummy. i can imagine the sweet and tartness of the apples, along with the other ingredients.
it looks like a chutney to me.

TBC said...

Rachel- do try it. You will be pleasantly surprised.:D


Rajitha- I know! I feel the same way. :( The "blogger in draft" feature is so cool!


Paz & Sangeeth- thanks!:D



Sunshinemom- I'm glad I came across Vani's reipe. It's pretty good and can be made so quickly!


Laavanya- yes.:(
It is more tangy and spicy than sweet. H is not too crazy about very sweet curries, so I did not add a lot of jaggery.:)


Karuna- it's a dish very popular in Karnataka cuisine. It was pretty darn good. I'm not sure what it means, but I'm sure google will have something for you.:D

Laavanya said...

Oh that's good to know.. A & I would prefer the tangy and spicy to very sweet curries too.

Vani said...

Your picture looks waaaay better than mine! :)

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.