Thursday, February 26, 2009

Roasted Carrot And Tomato Soup

A bowl (or two) of this steaming hot soup is the perfect meal on a crisp, cold day.

Roastedvegsoup1

This soup may have been inspired by the one mentioned in the previous post. Sadly though, it tasted nothing like it (the one that we had at The Morningstar Bistro). It was not bad, just a little different and that's not always a bad thing!

I had a lot of baby carrots and cherry tomatoes that I had purchased with nothing particular to make in mind. Though I'm a very organized person, I’m not one to plan meals ahead of time for each day of the week, although grocery shopping and cooking would probably be a lot easier if I did! A roasted vegetable soup seemed like a good way to put these vegetables to use, I thought. So here's what I did.

Ingredients:
30-35 baby carrots, chopped
25-30 cherry tomatoes, halved
½ onion, chopped into small chunks
5 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Red chilli flakes
¾ tsp grated ginger
1 cup milk (I use 2 %)
Toasted sesame seeds

Method:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the chopped vegetables in a baking dish lined with foil. Add olive oil, salt, pepper and red chilli flakes. Toss well so that the vegetables are coated with the oil and spices.

Roast in preheated oven at 375 degrees F for about 50- 60 minutes, turning the vegetables occasionally, till tender.

Cool and blend/puree the roasted vegetables. I like my soup a little thick and chunky with some texture to it, so I don’t puree until smooth. Return the pureed vegetables to a large saucepan and simmer on medium heat.

Add grated ginger, milk and water and thin out the soup to the desired consistency. I’d have used vegetable broth/stock if I’d had it. Work with whatever you have.

Simmer on medium heat for a few minutes before bringing to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle some lightly toasted sesame seeds on top. Serve hot.

Roastedvegsoup2

This seems like a good enough entry for FIC: Orange and SWC: Soups.

18 Burps:

amna said...

That looks delicious. I have a cup exactly like that :)

Unknown said...

Photograph is very beautiful, soup looks very creamy and has nice color to it. Nice entry.

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow droolworthy. Awesome and perfect for the event.

Raks said...

Thats a cool picture!love the colour!!recipe sounds good too!

Neha said...

This is a nice one, can also send this to SWC: soups, at my blog..

FH said...

TBC, adding Carrots is a fab idea and so nutritious too! Lovely color.
We will never get that restaurant style taste at home because they add lot of butter etc to make it so tasty.
Once we brought leftover Pasta home from a Italian restaurant. Next day, when I heated it up for my lunch, 1/4" of butter was pooled at the bottom of the bowl which scared me of off Italian food! Better to make at home and eat out occasionally!:)

AnuSriram said...

Wow.. Thats inviting! Nice procedure for making this comforting soup.

Vrinda said...

Lovely Pictures TBC,especially schroon lake..I lov photography...Thanx for stopping bt at ny blog..,beautiful blog with black background like mine..R u from kerala?will keep visiting..

Sahar said...

Yum! It looks heavenly. I am officially a fan

Laavanya said...

That looks so pretty ... i think the roasting must give it a great flavour.

A_and_N said...

Lovely pics! And mebbe tis the tomatoes you added that didn't make it like the restaurant soup and I agree with Asha too.

TBC said...


Nags- thanks! and Ikea is the best! :D

Madhu, Kitchen Flavors, Rak's Kitchen- thank you, ladies.:D

Neha- thnaks for letting me know... I just did.:D

Asha- thank you.:D
Yeah, I know...it's the butter (among other things)that made it taste so good but I just cannot bring myself to add more than a certain amount and then I expect it to taste the same!

Anu- thanks! :)

Vrinda- thanks. I'm so making that inji curry, and yes, I am originally from Kerala.:D
Nice to see you here.

Sahar- thank you.:) and yay! I have a fan.;D

Laavanya- thank you.:)

A & N- thanks( you're N, right?) :D
Yeah maybe the tomatoes were the culprit, but I just had to use them up 'cos they were starting to go bad.:(

Vaishali said...

I love roasted vegetables in soups, but had never thought of a roasted carrot version. It sounds delicious and flavorful, TBC, especially with the cherry tomatoes in it. The sesame seeds are a nice touch.

Anonymous said...

Wow...the colour of the soup is so rich. It looks yummy!

Aparna said...

This is definitely a great entry for FIC Orange. A very creative way to put veggies to use.
Thanks for sending it in, TBC.

Anonymous said...

Is it coincidence or what? I have all the ingredients for this recipe too. I used to prepare a menu and then only go for grocery shopping, but it's been a while now since I did that. Should start it again. That's really a time saver and also we can avoid wastage of produce.

Dazy said...

I like soups in winter, warming nourishing and usually make my own. This one looks very thick and my kids like thick one though. It would be healthy too for them.

TBC said...

Dazy- yeah, I like it thick and chunky. Give it a shot for the kids.:D

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.