Monday, December 14, 2009

Baked Zucchini Fries With A Yogurt-Buttermilk Ranch Dip

Zucchini fries1

These baked zucchini fries are an easy and healthy alternative to French fries. I made this a few nights ago when I was looking for a simple side that would go well with the grilled cheese sandwiches I was making for dinner. I also made a quick dip for the fries while they were baking in the oven.
The recipes for both the fries and the dip can be found on Faith’s blog.

For the Zucchini Fries:


Ingredients:
2 zucchini, cut into long, thick pieces
1 egg, beaten with a splash of milk
¼ cup unseasoned, dry bread crumbs
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
Salt
Pepper
Red chilli powder
Garlic powder
Dried herbs (I used a combination of basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease well.

In a wide, shallow bowl, beat the eggs with a little bit of milk. In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, chilli powder, and dried herbs.

Dip the zucchini pieces in the egg-milk mixture first and then roll in the bread crumb- cheese mixture to get an even coating all over.

Place in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake at 425 F for 20- 25 minutes.

My fries were a little soft on the inside and had a crunchy exterior but they were still very tasty. I’ve also tried Ellie Krieger’s recipe for Zucchini Parmesan Crisps using the dry ingredients in this recipe. We liked it so much that I’ve made it twice in the last few days.

Ranch dip1


For the Yogurt-Buttermilk Ranch Dip:

Ingredients:
Yogurt
Buttermilk
Lemon juice
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Sugar
Dried parsley
Dried dill

Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk well. Serve with fries.

Zucchini fries3

15 Burps:

Unknown said...

Last shot looks amazing, i have tried zucchini bhajjis,fries sounds delicious and crunchy.

motherrimmy said...

I used to make zucchini fries and forgot how good they are. You're pictures are terrific!

Raaga said...

Yummy!

Nupur said...

Oh my goodness, they look fantastic! This one I have to try!

Laavanya said...

I've made them once before and have been itching to make them again but the zucchinis almost always becomes a panini/soup instead. Mine also turned out soft - must give Ellie Krieger's recipe a shot.

Madhuram said...

I too have this in my blog, without eggs though. It really is tasty, right!

Unknown said...

I love ranch. Am definitley going to make this.

Deepa Kuber said...

hey TBC,never tried this b4..looks delicious.. u have changed look of ur blog.. wow...i have missed out everythg that was happening in blogging world.. gud to catch up with my old frens and new recipes :)

Vaishali said...

Baking zucchini is a healthy and delicious idea, TBC. Your fries look amazing-- I'd give anything for those now.
Hope you've been well-- I've been out of circulation a bit these past few weeks because things have been hectic at my end, but I've missed visiting. :)

Siri said...

I love anything which is baked as fried.. the fries and the dip look yummy tbc :)

Happy Holidays,
Siri

Cynthia said...

I must try these!

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Wow...this looks like a perfect appetizer for parties! Looks yummy!

TBC said...



Madhu- that sounds like a great idea; bhajjis would be perfect with garam chai!


Mother Rimmy- thank you very much.:)


Raaga- they were! I liked the texture of the crisps more, though. :)


Nupur- I'd recommend the crisps over the fries.


Laavanya- EK's recipe is great with Faith's seasonings.:)
I've been making sooooooo many things with zucchini latley- zucchini soup, chocolate-zucchini cupcakes, zucchini fritters, zucchini kootu- I had camera problems recently and could not take pics and so could not post anything. :(


Madhuram- it is fantastic, especially with this dip. :)


Divya- Faith's dip is really good. I've made it so many times now.:)



Anjali- it sure has been a while! Hope you are doing good.:)Nice to see you here.


Vaishali- I've been very irregular with posting and visiting too. I know, life has a way of getting in the way sometimes. :) I thought of you when we were in D.C. recently. :)


Siri- thank you.:) Hope the new year brings you everything you are hoping for and more.


Cynthia- Have a fantastic 2010!


Homecooked- thank you. :)



s said...

Can spend hours looking at the beautiful pics u have here....very impressive

TBC said...


S- thank you so much for saying that! Your words brightened up my day! :)


Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.