Friday, August 24, 2012

Aloo & Quinoa Tikkis (Potato & Quinoa Patties)


Aloo&quinoa tikki1


Recently, I’ve been trying to incorporate quinoa into my predominantly rice-based South Indian diet. I add quinoa to my dosa batter, use it as a substitute for rice and  also add it to soups, salads and casseroles.
While aloo tikkis have been an all-time favorite in our home, I have only recently started mixing  cooked quinoa in with the mashed potatoes while making tikkis.      

 Ingredients:

(For 8 tikkis)
  • 3 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and grated
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
  • 1 tsp roasted coriander powder
  • 1 tsp amchur powder
  • 1-2 Tbsp corn starch
  • Salt
  • Oil for shallow frying

 Method:

Mix the grated potatoes with the cooked quinoa. Add the salt, green chillies, roasted cumin & coriander powders, amchur and corn starch. Mix well. Divide the mixture into 8 portions. Make balls of the mixture and flatten them into thin discs.


Shallow fry the tikkis  in batches till they’re brown and crisp on both sides. Drain the excess oil on paper towels and serve hot. 


Aloo&quinoatiki2   


Sometimes I also use peas while making tikkis. In the picture below, I’ve used black quinoa and peas along with the potatoes and shaped the mixture into patties that were about ½- ¾ inch thick.

Aloo&quinoa tikki5

2 Burps:

Laavanya said...

Oh wow.. that first pic (Tikki) look just too tempting... perfect colour and I love how thin and crispy it is.

TBC said...

Laavanya- Thank you- you have to try quinoa if you haven't already- I like adding it to anything and everything! :)

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.