Monday, August 27, 2012

Pateta par Eeda (Eggs on Potatoes)

Pateta-par-Eeda, which translates to "eggs on potatoes" is a traditional Parsi dish served for breakfast. I first saw this on One Hot Stove many years ago and my version of the original recipe has undergone many changes with time. I like to  make this for brunch over the weekends especially when my grocery shopping for the following week has not yet been done, and all I have with me to make a decent meal are a couple of eggs and potatoes. Sometimes, when my vegetable bin is well-stocked, I like to jazz up the recipe a bit by using spinach, mushrooms and red peppers. Recently I've started adding  quinoa too.

Pateta Par Eeda2


Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tsp minced ginger
  • 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • 3 large potatoes, peeled and finely diced
  • 4 eggs
  • Salt
  • Pepper

 Method:

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the ginger, garlic and green chillies followed by the onions, salt and turmeric powder. Cook till the onions soften. Add the potatoes and cook, mixing everything occasionally, until the potatoes are almost done. Flatten the top, press the potatoes down gently to form a single layer and cook till a crust forms at the bottom. Flip over to let the other side get nice and crispy.

Beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Pour all over the potato mixture. Cover and cook on low heat till the eggs are set.

Run a rubber spatula around the edges to loosen the potato cake from the skillet, and then slide it out onto a plate. Cut into wedges and serve.


Pateta Par Eeda1

2 Burps:

sharikahline said...

Looks so yum and fun! Hoping to make it sometime soon!

TBC said...

sharikahline- Thanks!

Post a Comment

I'm glad you're here! Thanks for stopping by.